1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling your own application

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lucas, Mar 25, 2011.

  1. Lucas

    Lucas Well-Known Member

    Is there any programming language that requires you to pay a license in order to sell your software coded on their own language? I've never heard of such a thing.

    It's just a friend in college is fighting me such a case, I find it quiet silly actually.

    Edit: I do know some IDE's are actually paid, but it's nothing directly with the programming language, more of a way to facilitate programming in that area.
  2. Tempest

    Tempest Active Member

    Now that sounds ridiculous. Programming is a language... I don't remember paying for language, be it verbal or for computers. As far as I know, programing language is not proprietary. There may be a nut job out there that wrote his own language and charges for it but besides that, no way.
  3. Lucas

    Lucas Well-Known Member

    Thanks, I almost fell into thinking I had lost all my internet knowledge, lol. I knew I was completely right, there is no such thing.
  4. Ati

    Ati Active Member

    What do you mean exactly? There is Adobe Flash for example, that costs money. Obviously, if you use it to develop a flash application, you should have a valid commercial licence. (Student licences for example explicitly prohibit you to sell the application you create with that edition.)
  5. Tempest

    Tempest Active Member

    Yes. You need to pay to get the tools but using a language such as PHP... you don't pay a person to use PHP.
  6. Ati

    Ati Active Member

    Not with PHP, but you need to buy an Adobe Flash commercial licence if you want to legally sell your flash files.

    Of course, it will still work if you don't have one, it's just a moral issue because then you are doing something illegal.
  7. Tomble

    Tomble Active Member

    I guess it depends, for example you could argue that some enviroments / engines require a license of some description for example Unreal, XNA etc. Though I wouldn't consider either of them a language, because for example XNA from what I remember uses C#, but that may have been what he was refering to.

    Though I'm sure if you look hard enough there are some more specialist / niche programming languages which you have to have a license for. But I imagine those are for very specialist applications, not your generic languages like C or PHP.
  8. Rigel Kentaurus

    Rigel Kentaurus Well-Known Member

    Well, you kind of need a Mac developer license to sell your Cocoa apps...
    And an iPhone license to sell the iPhone ones ...

Share This Page