Selling Xenforo to your vB users. How would/did you do it?

Stuart Wright

So we all know that Xenforo is better than vBulletin, but my vB3.8.2 members will have got very used to the way things work on AVForums.
And we all know that people don't like change, even when it's clearly for the better.
So what would/did you tell your vBulletin forum members about Xenforo to convince them ahead of time (or just after your migration) that it's a change worth making?

I told them 2 things..

A: The creators of XenForo were the original coders of vB3.8. and they had built/coded a better script from the ground up. Also told them it didnt have as many addons and extras yet but they will follow in time...

B: I was changing it anyway since I was the muppet who was constantly having to do back end work on vB4.0 Suite and really couldnt afford the time to do so.

Didnt get one single negative response...

Regards..

Hi, my site was relatively large and busy, with 100,000 registered users.

I made a new thread, told them we were going to have some changes to make the site better, easier to use. That times are changing and we want the best for our users and future of our site. : ) I also said that yes, it might take a bit of getting used to, and that some might want to complain, but to have patience.

That kind of stopped the usual few members who want to "rant" to keep their mouths closed, and it made the more loyal and loving users to give it a thumbs up.

I pretty much would have made the changes anyway.

While my site is struggling to come back to what it was, I opened up a tes site and let people go play. Everyone responded with how easy it was to use over vBulletin. So far I have only had one negative comment and that was mainly due to the speed of the user ISP slowing down their access. Now I have changed over the positive are still continuing.

I did however install a test board and imported the live board database into it and let the other Admins and Crew have a play around for a few days before showing to the rest of the membership..

Admins and Crew all said it was far easier to work with and none of them had even seen or heard of xenForo before that..

Regards..

So we all know that Xenforo is better than vBulletin, but my vB3.8.2 members will have got very used to the way things work on AVForums.
And we all know that people don't like change, even when it's clearly for the better.
So what would/did you tell your vBulletin forum members about Xenforo to convince them ahead of time (or just after your migration) that it's a change worth making?
One of the big board clients I have hired me to re-create the vB3 style for them to ease their users into the switch to XenForo.

Thanks, all. Might make a video. Where to start on the changes, though?
Pretty much essential to get a sandbox up and running for the moderators to play with, I think.
It's important that they have all the tools they need.

One of the big board clients I have hired me to re-create the vB3 style for them to ease their users into the switch to XenForo.

That's a very good point - one of the mistakes I made when I moved from vB to IPB was to commission a "cool" new look; forgetting (in my enthusiasm) that people don't really like wholesale change!!!

We just told them it was happening, gave them a preview and let them have input on the test boards before making it live.

We just told them it was happening, gave them a preview and let them have input on the test boards before making it live.

That's pretty much what I did. After vB turned into a massive Kilo Foxtrot, it didn't take much convincing either.

Top Bottom