Selling Xenforo to your vB users. How would/did you do it?

What I did was, explain to the users that we're moving to a new software, and that it was done by the same guys that did vB3 line.

On a small imported site, all I did was say that we converted to xenForo.
On the second imported site, which happens to be CODForums, I explained the situation. [See here]
On the third imported site, I fully explained everything from the problems, to the features. [See here]

I told them that a few changes were coming, then I moved the site over to XenForo and created a sticky thread explaining how to use the new features. I sold the benefits of likes, tagging users, better social integration, notices vs announcements and best of all the alerts feature.

They all loved it, I didn't get a single outright complaint although a few moaned that it was a steep learning curve but they picked it up pretty quick and now they wouldnt have it any other way.

My "sell" was easier. Most of my users wanted a change.

But as good measure I told them we'd be moving to XenForo, gave them full access to the demo, and gave them full access to this very account so they could interact with the community here.

The approval was overwhelming :)

We've obviously changed the password since then (before making a purchase).... But yes...

The community backing the forum software is just as important as the software its self. There was enough interest in wanting to know the community, but not enough to go about joining (call it gray area).

We've obviously changed the password since then (before making a purchase).... But yes...

The community backing the forum software is just as important as the software its self. There was enough interest in wanting to know the community, but not enough to go about joining (call it gray area).

Ahh before you had licensed access :)

Made a live demo of my website on XenForo, showed my users, created a poll, after few months we converted over.

You should create a demo site, show it to your most valuable members and see what they think of it and go from there.
Of course a custom style is a must for the success of your forums, especially yours.
You could hire one of the many talented designs here to convert your current style to XenForo, I am sure that wouldn't be too difficult.

As long as you're not constantly switching forum's software. There is nothing to worry about the switches. As long as you have a thread and alert when it's happening. You'll be good to go. Some may hate it. Some will enjoy it. Some will miss a feature, some won't.

Let face it. We get chances without YouTube, Facebook telling us. We don't leave as long as the site provides the content and smooth than ever before.

Top Bottom