Lack of interest Select all checkbox should be unchecked when items do

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Kacee

This is a screenshot in AdminCP, Moderator Permission page. I "Select All" and then uncheck some, Select All checkbox stay checked.

Attachments

• selectall_xenforo.webp
    selectall_xenforo.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 55
Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I would rather see any select/deselect all functionality be in buttons and not check boxes instead. Seems more logical to me.

Because a checkbox is a form element to send data through for processing. The "Check All" is not something that is sent through. It is more of a form modifier. That's how I see it anyway.

That's programmers logic, but xenForo isn't a forum software for programmers forums. I think checkbox is better suited.

This isn't really a bug per se in that it was never designed to do that and there is a semantic meaning of unchecking it (it unselects everything, even if not everything is selected). However, I will leave this here for more feedback.

Robbo made an interesting suggestion. Maybe have a button that reads, "Select everything". Click it, all the boxes are selected and the button changes to, "Unselect Everything". Click it, all the boxes are unticked and the button again reads, "Select everything".

Robbo made an interesting suggestion. Maybe have a button that reads, "Select everything". Click it, all the boxes are selected and the button changes to, "Unselect Everything". Click it, all the boxes are unticked and the button again reads, "Select everything".
That's something I've considered, it may make an appearance in a future version. The one thing I don't like is the idea of the checkbox shifting location when the text changes.

I agree with Kacee, the "Select All" checkbox should not be kept checked when deselecting some options. There should also be an ability to deselect all. In fact, I like the way that gmail does it with selecting emails. If we can have something like that... :rolleyes:

Gmail way would be good if there was more than 2 options, drop boxes should be avoided unless you have to use them, they require an extra click. The way it is done in permissions is good, don't know how you could apply that to the shown area though.

I wasn't referring to the drop boxes, I was referring to how the "Select All" box changes (greyed-out and changed the check sign to the minus sign) when you deselect some options, or how the "Select all" when unchecked gets the minus sign when checking some of the option, and when you check all the options, then the minus sign is changed to the check sign. IMO that's simple and genius.

Hmmm I'll have another look. Is this using the new UI or old one?

Edit: checked the old UI and I still don't see exactly what you are seeing but I see something similar (same thing but there is no minus sign).

I think it would work fine here and I like it and will use whenever I have a check all box.

- When no options are checked it is unchecked and you can click it to check all
- When some options are checked it shows it is checked but faded (similar to a disabled input field). When clicked it will uncheck all
- When all options are checked it will show as checked and not faded. And naturally unchecked everything if clicked

The other problem with changing the text is that checkboxes tend to indicate that the checked state will perform the action described. If we had

[_] Check all

then I'd expect that checking the box would perform the check-all action. However, seeing this:

[X] Uncheck all

would not suggest to me that un-checking the box would perform the uncheck-all action. I'd assume that it was already applied, as the check is in place.

I don't think changing the text is neccessary, or even user friendly.

This checkbox has the title "Select All" with default value set to uncheck, and all other checkboxes are uncheck (as in this case, I haven't test with changing group permission to see if they affect default checkboxes here, I guess they do), that's logically mean if all the options are not checked, it's state will be unchecked (because All are not Selected)

It's state will only be checked if, and only if, all the options are checked, hence the "Select All" title.

Put it in the context, if you only want less than half of all options checked, most of the times you will check them manually. Only when you want more than all the options checked, you will want to check it to select all first, then uncheck unneeded options.

Only when this checkbox is checked (means all other options are checked, too) uncheck it will uncheck all of them. Otherwise, it is in unchecked state, and check it will select all options.

Just a quick vote for the button instead of the checkbox. Checkboxes for this functionality made more sense way back in the day, but with what you can do now, they don't. IMO anyway.

Top Bottom