Seem to get members posting blank messages when trying to quote..?

Donny

Hi,

I seem to have a common issue. I keep seeing newbies to the forum post blank messages containing only a quote. Then from time to time straight after they will write their actual message.

Not sure if this is a style related issue.

But I'm wondering if I can disable the option of quoted messages being included in the character count for posting messages.

As when you try to post a blank message the forum clearly tells you that you haven't hit the character qty required to post a message.

I'd like to try and get the same message pop up when people are quoting a reply, but not including any message with it.

Is that possible? I can't seem to find anywhere where it will allow me to exclude quoted messages from character count.

I hope that makes sense. I've confused myself writing it!

That's not possible with the software as it stands.

I can't say I've seen this crop up before, even amongst new members, so maybe there is some other explanation but at the same time I can't really think what. They are maybe getting confused by something or maybe they are just coincidentally often accidentally submitting the quoted message before tying their own.

I would say that if it works fine for you then it is likely just a case of user error and they will eventually get used to it and do it properly.

That's not possible with the software as it stands.

I can't say I've seen this crop up before, even amongst new members, so maybe there is some other explanation but at the same time I can't really think what. They are maybe getting confused by something or maybe they are just coincidentally often accidentally submitting the quoted message before tying their own.

I would say that if it works fine for you then it is likely just a case of user error and they will eventually get used to it and do it properly.

^^^ This is what I'm getting a lot of.
Just showing you what I mean. I don't mean to be annoying. :)

I had a member on my site do this a few times. It was just him, no issue with the site or add-ons. I just merged the quote post and the following reply post each time. He eventually got the message.

I had a member on my site do this a few times. It was just him, no issue with the site or add-ons. I just merged the quote post and the following reply post each time. He eventually got the message.
Seems to be a few newbies doing it.

Worth noting that my average age on this particular forum must be 45, oldest about 75. So it could just be they've fat-finger-on-phone-old-age-v-tech syndrome.

Top Bottom