1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seem to get members posting blank messages when trying to quote..?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Donny, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Donny

Donny Active Member

I seem to have a common issue. I keep seeing newbies to the forum post blank messages containing only a quote. Then from time to time straight after they will write their actual message.

Not sure if this is a style related issue.

But I'm wondering if I can disable the option of quoted messages being included in the character count for posting messages.

As when you try to post a blank message the forum clearly tells you that you haven't hit the character qty required to post a message.

I'd like to try and get the same message pop up when people are quoting a reply, but not including any message with it.

Is that possible? I can't seem to find anywhere where it will allow me to exclude quoted messages from character count.

I hope that makes sense. I've confused myself writing it!
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

That's not possible with the software as it stands.

I can't say I've seen this crop up before, even amongst new members, so maybe there is some other explanation but at the same time I can't really think what. They are maybe getting confused by something or maybe they are just coincidentally often accidentally submitting the quoted message before tying their own.

I would say that if it works fine for you then it is likely just a case of user error and they will eventually get used to it and do it properly.
  3. Donny

Donny Active Member

Minimum Post Length Enforcer
    This should sort it.
    It has an option to exclude quotes in character counts. Set it to 2 or something and bingo. Newbies get the message and mods stop needed to clear out blank messages.
  4. Donny

Donny Active Member

5. Donny

Donny Active Member

^^^ This is what I'm getting a lot of.
    Just showing you what I mean. I don't mean to be annoying. :)
  6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

I had a member on my site do this a few times. It was just him, no issue with the site or add-ons. I just merged the quote post and the following reply post each time. He eventually got the message.
    Donny likes this.
  7. Donny

Donny Active Member

Seems to be a few newbies doing it.

Worth noting that my average age on this particular forum must be 45, oldest about 75. So it could just be they've fat-finger-on-phone-old-age-v-tech syndrome.