Second-hand license purchase

ricky92

Hello community/staff,
I recently stumbled upon this great forum software and immediately fell in love with it. I like the style, the speed and the features, just everything seems perfect and that's why I chose it. However, the price for a license is quite high, and considering I live in Europe it's even worse, because of VAT. That's why I decided to look for a second-hand license, and I seem to have found one which I can affort at the moment. However, there is one catch: the license is not 120 days old yet. I'm guessing I could sort of "keep it on hold" until it becomes transferrable, and the seller could give me all the information needed in the meanwhile. The point is: I don't know if that somehow breaks the license, or if it can be done if I take the responsability of anything possibly happening before the 120th day has elapsed. Also, should I be able to do that, is there a way to check the information the seller is giving me is accurate without actually doing the transfer (yet)?
Thank you in advance for the help. :)
Best regards,

ricky92

Hello community/staff,
I recently stumbled upon this great forum software and immediately fell in love with it. I like the style, the speed and the features, just everything seems perfect and that's why I chose it. However, the price for a license is quite high, and considering I live in Europe it's even worse, because of VAT. That's why I decided to look for a second-hand license, and I seem to have found one which I can affort at the moment. However, there is one catch: the license is not 120 days old yet. I'm guessing I could sort of "keep it on hold" until it becomes transferrable, and the seller could give me all the information needed in the meanwhile. The point is: I don't know if that somehow breaks the license, or if it can be done if I take the responsability of anything possibly happening before the 120th day has elapsed. Also, should I be able to do that, is there a way to check the information the seller is giving me is accurate without actually doing the transfer (yet)?
Thank you in advance for the help. :)
Best regards,

ricky92

If your dealing with Extra License you can be sure what you are getting is legit. Alternatively, you would be probably best to use the contact form and contact the Xenforo owners with the info of the license your purchasing and check to see if it's transferable and legit. http://xenforo.com/contact

If your dealing with Extra License you can be sure what you are getting is legit. Alternatively, you would be probably best to use the contact form and contact the Xenforo owners with the info of the license your purchasing and check to see if it's transferable and legit. http://xenforo.com/contact
Thank you for the quick reply, Shelley :) I'm not dealing with Extra License, but with a user on Digital Point. He seems to have made other transactions and nobody ever reported anything bad about him, so my first guess is I could trust him. However, as you suggested, it might be worth it to check if it's still transferable in the future (at the moment it isn't, and I suppose it's legit since I used the api webpage to check its validity). I will send a message through the contact form, thank you again ;)

Thank you for the quick reply, Shelley :) I'm not dealing with Extra License, but with a user on Digital Point. He seems to have made other transactions and nobody ever reported anything bad about him, so my first guess is I could trust him. However, as you suggested, it might be worth it to check if it's still transferable in the future (at the moment it isn't, and I suppose it's legit since I used the api webpage to check its validity). I will send a message through the contact form, thank you again ;)

I'd suggest contacting the owners still using the contact form just to be sure so you are not losing out on the off chance it's not legit. Better to be safe than sorry and it'll take a moment to ask and get that peace of mind when you get the response back. Hopefully all will go well with the transfer and welcome to xenforo and look forward seeing you here with your new license purchased. :)

You could also request a validation token from the license holder so you can check if the license is valid and transferable. - http://xenforo.com/api/
Hey oman, thank you too for the response :) That's exactly what I did, on the advice of the seller himself, and he proved to be the license owner (he changed the domain to one I provided to him). However, the license is marked as "Not transferable", but that's somewhat in line with what he told me: it's not supposed to be 120 days old yet.
I'd suggest contacting the owners still using the contact form just to be sure so you are not losing out on the off chance it's not legit. Better to be safe than sorry and it'll take a moment to ask and get that peace of mind when you get the response back. Hopefully all will go well with the transfer and welcome to xenforo and look forward seeing you here with your new license purchased. :)
I just did that, thanks to your suggestion. I'm really hoping this transaction will go through, as, apart for the goodness of the forum software, I find this community quite active and helpful. And one cannot take this for granted for other products nowadays :)

Hey oman, thank you too for the response :) That's exactly what I did, on the advice of the seller himself, and he proved to be the license owner (he changed the domain to one I provided to him). However, the license is marked as "Not transferable", but that's somewhat in line with what he told me: it's not supposed to be 120 days old yet.

I just did that, thanks to your suggestion. I'm really hoping this transaction will go through, as, apart for the goodness of the forum software, I find this community quite active and helpful. And one cannot take this for granted for other products nowadays :)

You are most welcome. Well fingers crossed but I'm quite sure all will go well and you'll be here shortly participating in the forums and getting your hands on all the goodies xf have to offer. The community is very helpful and you'll find that any issues you may encounter (I don't think you'll get any issues) someone will be there to respond to any issues you may have.

So get your avatar setup, and get ready for the good times ahead. :D

A point to note - if you're not already aware of it - buying a second-user license means you won't be able to sell it on in the future; they can only be sold once.

Cheers,
Shaun :D
I'm totally aware of this, and it wouldn't be a problem for me. Thank you anyway :)
Nothing will be able to be actioned until the 120 days has passed and the license is transferable.
Thank you for replying, Brogan. :) I suppose I should take your reply as an "official" one, since you're a moderator here, right? If so, what you said means that if the license is sold before the 120 days, it is invalidated? Can't the seller, for example, put it "on hold" for me until it's transferable?

It simply can't be sold before the 120 days has passed so nothing can be actioned with regards to it.
Okay, I understand this part, and I thought I had made it clear in my previous posts. The license agreement reports
The Software may be permanently transferred by the original purchaser to a third party ("Subsequent Licensee") not before 120 days following purchase, provided that the expiry date of the License falls after the date of the transfer. The original licensee may not retain a copy or installation of the Software. The Subsequent Licensee must agree to the terms of this Agreement and waive the right to transfer.
And well, this is fine, I'm not trying to transfer the license before the 120 days period. I hoped I could "lease" the license until it becomes transferable, which is not prohibited by the agreement. It just reports:
This license is granted to You alone. You may not redistribute the Software in whole or in part. You may not rent, lease, sub-license, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of XenForo Limited.
Okay, so... this, at least to me, seems to mean it can be done, but it must be authorized by XenForo limited, exactly in the same way a transfer must be officially authorized.
Anyway, I'm asking all this on here because I'm not a native English speaker, and I might have misread something, or there might be some rule I don't know about; I'm really just seeking for help and/or opinions (even personal ones).

Okay, I understand this part, and I thought I had made it clear in my previous posts. The license agreement reports

And well, this is fine, I'm not trying to transfer the license before the 120 days period. I hoped I could "lease" the license until it becomes transferable, which is not prohibited by the agreement. It just reports:

Okay, so... this, at least to me, seems to mean it can be done, but it must be authorized by XenForo limited, exactly in the same way a transfer must be officially authorized.
Anyway, I'm asking all this on here because I'm not a native English speaker, and I might have misread something, or there might be some rule I don't know about; I'm really just seeking for help and/or opinions (even personal ones).

Have you tried venturing over to ExtraLicense.com Ricky? You may have some luck in finding a transferable license there.

I suppose to your question in theory it could be done if the owners wanted to but they also have to protect their backs too in case there are adverse affects such as the original owner perhaps doing a charge back or something. I'm not sure so I'm guessing, I'm not familiar with that process and how it works behind closed doors but I'm sure there is a very good reason why they probably can't authorise the transfer. Try Extra License and see if you have some luck there, chances are you will find someone who is selling and has a license that's transferable. :)

Have you tried venturing over to ExtraLicense.com Ricky? You may have some luck in finding a transferable license there.

I suppose to your question in theory it could be done if the owners wanted to but they also have to protect their backs too in case there are adverse affects such as the original owner perhaps doing a charge back or something. I'm not sure so I'm guessing, I'm not familiar with that process and how it works behind closed doors but I'm sure there is a very good reason why they probably can't authorise the transfer. Try Extra License and see if you have some luck there, chances are you will find someone who is selling and has a license that's transferable. :)
I will try looking for a license there too, I hope to find one at a good price. Thank you :)

By the way I just received a reply to my ticket, in which they said they cannot disclose customer information, which is totally right, but I'll have to see if they can officially confirm, given consent by the seller, that the information I'd receive is correct. I further asked if there is a way to have written consent to use a "leased" license until it becomes transferable. I guess I just need to wait for another reply now.

I very much doubt you'll be able to "lease" a license that is not eligible for transfer; it belongs to that license holder only until 120 days have passed.

If you want a second-user license now, you'll need to find an alternative one for sale that is eligible for transfer. (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Okay, I received another reply to my ticket. It's not possible to receive an authorization for a "lease", at least not one that officially recognizes you as the current license holder. It is however possible to work out a deal with the seller, a sort of "partnership" thing, which could let you to use the forum on his behalf, so that it still results to be licensed to him, but it's you who's effectively using it. Following this solution, I will be able to transfer it and become the rightful owner after the 120 days will have elapsed: of course, I will have to trust the seller to some degree, but I hope everything can go well.

Just a suggestion for anyone who might read this topic in the future: if you're in this same situation, choose a safe payment solution. PayPal grants you a period of 45 days after a payment (a Gift is not a payment, so don't use that method if you want PayPal's buyer protection!), during which you can file a dispute against the seller, in case something goes wrong. Make sure the day the license will become transferable falls into this timespan, and you should have your back pretty much covered.

Just a suggestion for anyone who might read this topic in the future: if you're in this same situation, choose a safe payment solution. PayPal grants you a period of 45 days after a payment (a Gift is not a payment, so don't use that method if you want PayPal's buyer protection!), during which you can file a dispute against the seller, in case something goes wrong. Make sure the day the license will become transferable falls into this timespan, and you should have your back pretty much covered.
Unfortunately that does not cover intangible items as far as I know.

With any second hand sale, theres always the risk element, so purchasing it new is obviously preferable (even if it means saving a little). Also be aware, paypal doesn't actually officially cover digital goods.

But in short, the system simply won't allow us to transfer a license until the 120 day period has passed, so I would try to find one that you can transfer immediately, or, buy new :)

With any second hand sale, theres always the risk element, so purchasing it new is obviously preferable (even if it means saving a little). Also be aware, paypal doesn't actually officially cover digital goods.

But in short, the system simply won't allow us to transfer a license until the 120 day period has passed, so I would try to find one that you can transfer immediately, or, buy new :)

Okay, I received another reply to my ticket. It's not possible to receive an authorization for a "lease", at least not one that officially recognizes you as the current license holder. It is however possible to work out a deal with the seller, a sort of "partnership" thing, which could let you to use the forum on his behalf, so that it still results to be licensed to him, but it's you who's effectively using it. Following this solution, I will be able to transfer it and become the rightful owner after the 120 days will have elapsed: of course, I will have to trust the seller to some degree, but I hope everything can go well.

I agree with Slavik here. I wouldn't feel comfortable leasing a license from someone I didn't know and hopeful they would transfer it at the end of the 120 day period. There's always licenses going cheap so it's probably best to wait until a transferable one becomes available or as Slavik mentioned buy it new, this way you know it's yours and your not got the uncertainty of anyone not transferring it after the 120 period.

Top Bottom