Implemented Search similar threads while typing thread title

Forsaken

This is more for just -this- forum, as it might cut down on repeat topics.

Theres the mod on vB3, where typing in a title for a new thread will automatically search for similar threads, and display them underneath the title box.

I think this should possibly be added, due to how many repeat threads this forum is getting (Reports and suggestions), and its actually something that might be used by default on most forums to cut down on repeat topics.

Upvote 130
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I like the idea :)

This doesn't has to be a direct feature though :)
It's one of those not important, cool to have things ;)

Yeah, its not really required...

But I think it would cut down on the multiple threads being created, which would speed up time in which Peggy, Kier, Mike and Ashley spend responding to topics/reading them.

These type of things are very useful for big boards, and it's cool to see related threads at the bottom of the thread. I can't say I fully support it as it just adds more clutter, but it's a cool feature to consider. :)

This isn't for the showthread, this is for when posting new threads.

It would show a list of similar topics, to cut down on possible duplicate topics.

The similar thread function we are used to in vbulleitn does not work very well. If XF would have a tags system, then a similar threads function could be very effective if tags are included.

I'd prefer it only displayed the list after the title is fully typed.

Agree. If it was live as you're typing, it would feel like the system is trying to dissuade you from posting a thread, or like it's trying to suggest titles to you or something. ;)

I think this should rather be a mod than a default function.

Reason I suggested it be default, is so that they can use it for this site ;p.

Bug reports and suggestions is full of duplicate threads, and this could cut down on duplicates.

I think it's useful to show a list of similar threads/topics when a member is posting. This will at least minimize duplicates. My suggestion is showing it right above the WYSIWYG post box with the admin option to choose how many to show.

Top Bottom