Implemented Search similar threads while typing thread title

Forsaken

This is more for just -this- forum, as it might cut down on repeat topics.

Theres the mod on vB3, where typing in a title for a new thread will automatically search for similar threads, and display them underneath the title box.

I think this should possibly be added, due to how many repeat threads this forum is getting (Reports and suggestions), and its actually something that might be used by default on most forums to cut down on repeat topics.

Upvote 130
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Nice as add-on, but not default please.

1) Repeated questions/threads aren't nessecarily 'bad' as they keep a forum alive and allow it to grow. Also the same question/thread doesn't always mean the same answers/discussion. New and interesting content often comes from repeated questions and discussions.
2) I don't want to be bothered with dynamically generated content while typing a question or thread, that just disturbs and annoys me, and the same goes for my members.

This functionality is good for company support forums or support ticket systems.

2) I don't want to be bothered with dynamically generated content while typing a question of thread, that just disturbs and annoys me, and the same goes for my members.
I guess Google.com dynamic search results disturb and annoy you and your members?

As for multiple threads on the exact same topic, I don't want to stifle conversation, but I do like the idea of the best information being available in 1 thread on 1 topic, and make judicious use of thread merging on my forum. If the same question is asked every day, I am going to get fed up providing the same detailed answer, so I'm just going to quit answering that question.

Similar Threads, built into vB, was a great idea, but the implementation didn't work because it was not live. AFTER you posted a thread, a little box at the bottom of the new thread (if you even scrolled down that far) told you about threads you should have read first. Silly.

I'm not saying we need Clippy from Microsoft Office infamy to pop up and say "It looks like you are posting a thread asking about thread prefixes. Can I help you find an existing thread on this topic?" but a live list of threads matching terms in the subject or first few words in the post body couldn't hurt, and Users could disable "Thread Suggestions" as a user option.

I guess Google.com dynamic search results disturb and annoy you and your members?
Actually, this isn't available here yet. But from what I've seen, yes, that would disturb and annoy me, and I will disable is too. And since this has been discussed on our forum, I can tell you that the majority of our members do not like it either. Of course they didn't actually use it yet, so opinions are based on just how it looks in video.

But I hope this statement of yours does not imply that you think that everything Google does should be considered a good idea. Because then I would have to point you to the fact that even Google fails, and not once but multiple times, in some of the things they do.

As for multiple threads on the exact same topic, I don't want to stifle conversation, but I do like the idea of the best information being available in 1 thread on 1 topic, and make judicious use of thread merging on my forum. If the same question is asked every day, I am going to get fed up providing the same detailed answer, so I'm just going to quit answering that question.
Again, that would be the best way to limit growth on any forum. Not just that, but even limiting the chance of new ideas, new insights, and new discussions flourish.

And to say that you can just merge everything in big centralized threads is pure utopia. You would end up with hundreds of huge stickies, filled with all kinds of questions and discussions, which would be the opposite of what you want in the first place.

Similar Threads, built into vB, was a great idea, but the implementation didn't work because it was not live. AFTER you posted a thread, a little box at the bottom of the new thread (if you even scrolled down that far) told you about threads you should have read first. Silly.
I don't think it was a great idea. I think it sounded nice on paper but was proven a total failure in practice.

I'm not saying we need Clippy from Microsoft Office infamy to pop up and say "It looks like you are posting a thread asking about thread prefixes. Can I help you find an existing thread on this topic?" but a live list of threads matching terms in the subject or first few words in the post body couldn't hurt, and Users could disable "Thread Suggestions" as a user option.
Well it would still be a bit like that much hated Clippy (thanks for this argument, I feel even stronger about my point now) no matter how nice you show it on the screen.

Again, this can serve as a nice add-on for company support forums, but let's not make this a default feature for every forum out there.

Nice as add-on, but not default please.

1) Repeated questions/threads aren't nessecarily 'bad' as they keep a forum alive and allow it to grow. Also the same question/thread doesn't always mean the same answers/discussion. New and interesting content often comes from repeated questions and discussions.
2) I don't want to be bothered with dynamically generated content while typing a question or thread, that just disturbs and annoys me, and the same goes for my members.

This functionality is good for company support forums or support ticket systems.

The main reason it was suggested as a core feature is for use here due to the sheer # of repeated posts; I don't like posting in other peoples threads telling them I've suggested posts, or that someone else has, because I feel like an ass, and sometimes some people feel like they've done something wrong when you say it; It also makes sense, especially here to keep posts in-depth (For the most part, see my further reply to your post), as you get more ideas for features.

1) I never implied they were not necessary, but in most cases, at least with support, questions tend to be the same. My old forum which main focus was releasing programs and supporting them, got 50+ topics a month about "HOW DO I USE STARCRAFT ON MIRAGEBOT!?", when most often my staff would just post a guide I had written for users. This is not to say that all similar post are the same, some are more specific to the poster, but often enough that isn't the case.
2) You could turn it off; And before the bloat argument, this is probably one of the smallest features that could be added.

Support forums would use it, so would sites that often get many suggestions (XenForo), sites that are niche that usually have large threads dedicated to a topic (Anime, gaming).

If it were added, I'd hope they made it so it is configurable to turn it off on all but certain forums.

I -totally- get tired of answering the same topic; I was serious when I said I had to answer the same post 50+ times in a month (Once it was in a week, due to a new version being released, and things having to have been changed for it to work with a recent patch of the game).

The main reason it was suggested as a core feature is for use here due to the sheer # of repeated posts; I don't like posting in other peoples threads telling them I've suggested posts, or that someone else has, because I feel like an ass, and sometimes some people feel like they've done something wrong when you say it; It also makes sense, especially here to keep posts in-depth (For the most part, see my further reply to your post), as you get more ideas for features.

1) I never implied they were not necessary, but in most cases, at least with support, questions tend to be the same. My old forum which main focus was releasing programs and supporting them, got 50+ topics a month about "HOW DO I USE STARCRAFT ON MIRAGEBOT!?", when most often my staff would just post a guide I had written for users. This is not to say that all similar post are the same, some are more specific to the poster, but often enough that isn't the case.
2) You wouldn't have to use it; Chances are implementing this would be a breeze, and add little overhead.

Support forums would use it, so would sites that often get many suggestions (XenForo), sites that are niche that usually have large threads dedicated to a topic (Anime, gaming).

If it were added, I'd hope they made it so it is configurable to turn it off on all but certain forums.
Thanks for clarifying how you see this, I completely agree with this post.

When creating a new thread, it would be great if the system could check if there are similar threads based on the information given in the "Title:" field.

Something similar to what is done when signing up and you enter an e-mail address that's already in use.

Thanks

I have this on my vb forum but it doesn't stop anyone from repeating threads.
Although I would install it if this was available.,

The idea of reducing the number of similar threads is an excellent idea.
Check for similar threads, as steven s suggests, only helps a bit, if at all.
It is the outdated structure of forums themselves that are the problem.

This problem of people CONTINUALLY posting virtually duplicate threads is a SYMPTOM of a larger problem: people can't easily find the information they want on forums. If it was easier to find the information you want, you'd be less likely to post a duplicate thread. Forums are good for Chit Chatting but not particularly good for goal-oriented communities.

When creating a new thread, it would be great if the system could check if there are similar threads based on the information given in the "Title:" field.

Well, you've just proven your own point by posting this thread ;), as you can see:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-search-for-similar-threads.1083/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/search-similar-threads-while-typing-thread-title.1102/
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-ajax-similar-thread-search.4277/

I guess if there was a mod for this the OP may have not started a new thread.
Still, on my forums, nice concept but it doesn't work well.
I do like similar threads at the bottom of the post though.

Top Bottom