Search seems 'fuzzy' on this site - can't find what I'm looking for!

Machiavelli

My members want a dating area on my site, so I thought I would search xenforo.com to see if I could find any relevant help/suggestions/Add-ons/etc.

I clicked Search Forums, entered the keyword "dating", and ticked the "Search titles only," and "Display results as threads," options as I only wanted to see threads which specifically had the exact word "dating" in the title.

However, these are the results I get:

search_nonrelevant_results_2012-06-30.webp

It seems to be doing a 'fuzzy' search, returning anything which has anything remotely similar to "dating" in the thread title! I'm sure this is great in some scenarios, but for me I just want exact matches.

Is this correct behaviour? If so, is there a way to turn it off, or an alternative way of finding threads that only have an exact word in the title?

Thanks. :)

That is normal because search on this site is configured to use stemming which searches for different forms of the root word (dating, date, dates, etc). The search can be configured differently on your installation, but that is how it is configured on this site.

I don't know of a way for the end user (you) to turn off stemming in your search. That would be a useful option...

That is normal because search on this site is configured to use stemming which searches for different forms of the root word (dating, date, dates, etc). The search can be configured differently on your installation, but that is how it is configured on this site.

I don't know of a way for the end user (you) to turn off stemming in your search. That would be a useful option...
Ah right, thanks for the explanation!
Maybe you could replicate the terms a bit more. For example, I typed 'dating site' in and got back with few accurate results: http://xenforo.com/community/search/2297875/?q=dating site&o=date&c[title_only]=1 (y)
I ended up just using Google (e.g. "inurl:xenforo.com dating" and similar), but thanks for the suggestion. :)

Top Bottom