As designed Search Phrases "Text Contains" should be "Text equals"

Mr Lucky

If you search phrases for words contained in a phrase, there are no results unless you use the exact phrase.

In that case it should ask for "Text equals" not "Text Contains".

Text Contains explicitly means the text contains, and does not mean it has to be the exact text.

This kind of filter rule is very common, those terms mean very different things and I believe xenforo should follow standard methods

It works as it describes. It does allow you to search for phrases "containing" and it does not require a full match.

upload_2016-8-7_12-51-17.webp

This produces search results containing any phrases that contain "*onver*", as in, conversation:

upload_2016-8-7_12-52-2.webp

If you're seeing a different behaviour, is it something specific you're searching for? Or maybe there's an add-on involved? Try again with all add-ons disabled.

I think he might be meaning that if you search for "word1 word2", it only matches if they're next to each other (phrase search), rather than anywhere in the document.

I do believe that "contains" is an accurate description, as any match will contain exactly what you entered, though I can take the point that a search engine handles this differently unless you explicitly use quotes.. I don't believe that "equals" is an accurate description, because that implies that the phrase text must contain nothing but the entered text.

I think he might be meaning that if you search for "word1 word2", it only matches if they're next to each other (phrase search), rather than anywhere in the document.

Yes. I am not talking about partial words.

. I don't believe that "equals" is an accurate description, because that implies that the phrase text must contain nothing but the entered text.

OK I agree , that is true because it will find a single word or part of a word.

BUT, it is still wrong in that if I search for: content have at least then I expect to find the phrase this_content_must_have_at_least_x_tags

Because it does contain those words. The fact that I didn't use all the words is the issue here.

The word contain by itself is very misleading.

For example, this is the way Easyfind will search for a phrase:

search.webp

Or maybe there's an add-on involved? Try again with all add-ons disabled.

Will do.

Clearly there was a misunderstanding about what this was reporting, so disabling add-ons won't be necessary.

From the point of view of searching for a string within phrase text, it's working as designed. Clearly there was a misunderstanding of how you thought it worked, so that's really the only issue here.

First time honestly I've come across anyone finding issue with this, or referring to it as "very misleading". Points noted, though.

Clearly there was a misunderstanding of how you thought it worked, so that's really the only issue here.

I admit I do tend to take things literally so I thought contains would cover those other scenarios.

So I may be the only person who thinks it is a bug :)

I'm going to call this as designed. I believe both approaches could be consider "contains" and I haven't heard of any other questions regarding this. If needed, we could add a clarification but I don't think we'd change how it works.

Top Bottom