Lack of interest Search parts of words?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

craigiri

Forgive me if already requested - but some searches which you might expect to work - don't!

As an example, I was searching for threads discussing the ad locations - and figured that even a good part of a keyword, for instance "ad_above" would bring in results.

But it does not. I suppose this is a limitation of mysql?
In any case, someday it would be great to have google-like search in forums, so that misspellings, partial words, etc. would bring in results.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
MySQL search isn't in use here, the Enhanced Search add-on is.

For any search though you can use a wildcard: ad_above*

So to be clear, there is no difference between the enhanced and regular search in this matter?
I can use a wildcard, but users will likely not - too technical.
Maybe eventually a certain character length (5+) can default to a wildcard search when there are no or few results, etc.?

Suggestions to change the functionality of standard MySQL search are really outside the scope of XenForo.

I would appreciate it if this suggestion would be considered as such, instead of marked implemented.
The final decision, of course, is up to the XF crew, but it would be nice to have the suggestion looked at as a valid one and behavior which most end users expect.
It might be ideal to have an "off/on" switch for this and/or the user to decide "fuzzy search or exact, etc."

Top Bottom