Implemented Search partial IP address

Wildcat Media

In vB we were able to search on ranges of IP addresses, such as using only the first three octets (ie. 127.0.0.*). The search in XF appears to work only for full IP addresses, based on combinations I've tried ("127.0.0", "127.0.0.*", etc.).

vB also had a "2-level" IP address search which was a bit more comprehensive.

Our staff on the big board uses these to examine new members with suspicious activity--the forum tends to attract trolls, and they like to see if there is any history of other suspicious members that were banned.

Upvote 11
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Thanks for the nudge. :) My staff is really requesting we have this feature, due to many banned members who try to sign up under alternate IPs on the same subnet. We've caught many over the years that way! Let me hope this makes it into XF 1.3 or someone creates an add-on...

Posts such as that have zero effect on whether suggestions are implemented.

Like the first post to show your support.

Since this thread still seems to be getting requests for the feature, I'll point out an Add-on I uploaded a while back that lets you search IP partials. Having it as a core feature would be a lot better, but if necessary this can be used until then. I uploaded it quite a while ago and haven't really done much to it, but there doesn't seem to have been any problems with it.

I also never stress-tested it much apart from basic tests, so any bug finds are welcome.

Top Bottom