XF 1.5 Odd IP address log locations for multiple users from around the world.

RobinHood

So I was just testing my facebook integration as they sent me some privacy policy and strict redirect uri matching compliance alerts and found that when I tried to register using my facebook account, the user I was trying to create was flagged as having the same IP address as a spammer.

I checked the IP and it turns out about 20 legit users (as well as the spammer and many of my own admin accounts) are flagged as having used that IP address, which looks like my local London Virgin IP address according to the lookup link.

I know most of these other users are from all over the world, mainly the US, Europe and Australia. So this seems incredibly odd.

Weirdly the date these other users are last flagged as using that IP address all seem to occur on only two dates about a month apart early in 2017, apart from the spammer who was from the last month or so.

I'm wondering if there's any reason anyone can think this may have happened, if not if it may be some kind of bug? Seems very odd. I don't use any kind of add ons to log in as other users, so it can't be that.

I thought maybe it could be to do with facebook logging in and redirecting through their servers, but many of the accounts aren't associated with facebook.

The spammer account was logged as registering from Pakistan on December 7th 2017, they were banned on the 10th, yet the common London IP address was associated with the account is marked as January 11th 2018.

Any thoughts?

That sounds like an incorrectly configured server - it could be proxy related.

Sounds like it was just a temporary issue so it's resolved now but of course those IP records are always going to be wrong until they expire.

Top Bottom