Duplicate Unable to ban IP v6 IP Address

Adam Howard

I'm aware that IP v6 IP addresses are marked as a future release (November 19, 2011), but as of now it is a bug when you try to ban a spam bot which is using a v6 IP address and are told by XenForo that

Please enter a valid IP or IP range. Wildcards may only occur at the end.

The spammers are coming.... This needs to be fixed, please.

This error should only happen when you attempt to manually ban an IPv6 address in the Admin CP. That is the only place where you can ban an IP. This would qualify as a bug if it could be triggered inadvertently though some other system. But I examined the code and I don't see any way to trigger this error outside of manually banning an IPv6 address in the Admin CP. The error is expected because XenForo does not currently support IPv6 so this is not separate a bug.

Since you already replied to the original bug report I am going to mark this as a duplicate.

This error should only happen when you attempt to manually ban an IPv6 address in the Admin CP. That is the only place where you can ban an IP. This would qualify as a bug if it could be triggered inadvertently though some other system. But I examined the code and I don't see any way to trigger this error outside of manually banning an IPv6 address in the Admin CP. The error is expected because XenForo does not currently support IPv6 so this is not separate a bug.

Since you already replied to the original bug report I am going to mark this as a duplicate.
As I see it... It's a BUG.
150 spammer today and ALL using v6 IP addresses.

edit: 151

Can you tell me how to reproduce the error?

From what I can see of the code, the error will happen when you try to ban an IPv6 address. It will tell you the address is not valid which is expected since IPv6 is not supported. A needed feature for sure, but not worthy of a new bug report. Lack of IPv6 support has already been reported and is on the to-do list, hence this is a duplicate:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ipv6-addresses-not-supported.23441/

Please.

Resolve.

This.

Will it take XenForo.com to be under attack before this is considered?

200 spam post today..... PLEASE ... Look into this......

While I agree that XenForo should have IPv6 logging support, you really would be better off banning IPs (both IPv4 and IPv6) at the server-level (or even somewhere upstream at the router level). More flexible and also doesn't need to initiate the application in order to check for banned IPs.

For example if you just wanted to ban All of Microsoft, you could just block their entire block of IPs:

Code:
/sbin/route add -net 65.52.0.0 netmask 255.252.0.0 reject

For those that don't have shell access or can't modify the server's routing tables, then yeah... you would be limited to application-level blocking, but even then you still would be better off doing it at the web server level.

While I agree that XenForo should have IPv6 logging support, you really would be better off banning IPs (both IPv4 and IPv6) at the server-level (or even somewhere upstream at the router level). More flexible and also doesn't need to initiate the application in order to check for banned IPs.

For example if you just wanted to ban All of Microsoft, you could just block their entire block of IPs:

Code:
/sbin/route add -net 65.52.0.0 netmask 255.252.0.0 reject

For those that don't have shell access or can't modify the server's routing tables, then yeah... you would be limited to application-level blocking, but even then you still would be better off doing it at the web server level.
You could just use htaccess for people who do not have shell access

It's the next best thing vs actually depending on forum software

Top Bottom