Search Log

Search Log 2.9

No permission to download
Are you taking paid jobs ?

I'd like to have a WF widget with a tag cloud of the most popular search terms from the forum's search log. Would be a perfect match with this addon, then you can release a public update for it even if it's a paid work, if you want.

That actually sounds like a really nice addition and I'd be excited to use it too. I have one concern though, how would you prevent abuse by users?

That actually sounds like a really nice addition and I'd be excited to use it too. I have one concern though, how would you prevent abuse by users?

I coded my own addon to do this with vBulletin and abuse was never a problem because of the way vBulletin was designed - the forum was caching search results for 30 mins so the search terms count was only updated if it wasn't searched for at least 30 minutes, else VB would just display the cached results.
Also, on very active boards the top search terms listed in the cloud will all have thousands search times count. This means that an user abusing the system would have to search the term thousands of times every 30 minutes before the term start listing in the cloud.

In almost 10 years i never had to deal with abuse, but i did have my own system to blacklist search terms from the cloud to prevent displaying some non-revelant terms that were still frequently searched for. Of course mileage may vary, just my personal experience.

Ah, caching is a good step - if they don't see immediate results it'd be less obvious. My site is significantly smaller than a "big board" though so it is a bit concerning.

I see that many have suggested Google Maps here and that it is too complicated to implement. Any thoughts on adding wikimapia.org?

AndyB updated Search Log with a new update entry:

See description

On Jan 1, 2016 version 2.8 of this add-on was released to address an exploitable SQL injection vulnerability. If you are still using a version of this add-on which is below 2.8 or released before Jan 1, 2016 then it is essential that you update to the latest version of the add-on as soon as possible to fix this security issue. If you have any further questions, please ask.

Read the rest of this update entry...

AndyB updated Search Log with a new update entry:

See description

On Jan 1, 2016 version 2.8 of this add-on was released to address an exploitable SQL injection vulnerability. If you are still using a version of this add-on which is below 2.8 or released before Jan 1, 2016 then it is essential that you update to the latest version of the add-on as soon as possible to fix this security issue. If you have any further questions, please ask.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom