MG 2.1 Search in category names and descriptions

Mikethemix

How can I enable search to look in the category names and also their descriptions?
Search within XFMG seems to find anything in Titles, Descriptions, Tags and Notes - But it does not look in the names of the categories themselves, nor in their descriptions. How can I enable this please?

Unfortunately not.

Worth noting that we don't index names or descriptions for forum categories or forums either and I don't recall seeing requests for it in the past. I'm not sure if that makes it a niche concept or just a good idea that no one has thought of yet!

Hi Chris,
Our site is an old car club members' private forum. We have about 6000 photos - many of them historic racing cars etc which are of great interest to researchers within the club.
Each car has its own category to contain its photos - so we have over 1000 categories.
Each car's category name has the car's type, date, chassis number, engine number, registration number, owners details in the category name itself. The category description field contains the ownership history of that car. Then there are photos stored in the category, each with a title and sometimes a description too - relating to when & where taken, what shown etc.

It is a pain that we have to repeat all the above data from each cars category name in the title or description field of all the photos of that car, or they wont be found in a search for that car. As things stand the ownership history cannot be searched either - not great!

Happy to give you a guest ID so you can see what we have migrated across from vB4.2 with Dragonbyte Gallery - it is a private forum.
I could post some screen grabs here if that was helpful. Much easier to look at the site.

Is our use of the gallery so unusual? I would have thought this was a classic use of a photo gallery for a club.
We don't see any need to search the names or descriptions of our forum categories, just their content. So I think your decision NOT to search forum categories seems correct:)

Please PM me if you are interested to see our site, understand the challenge and maybe suggest a solution.
Regards, Mike

Last edited:
Top Bottom