XF 2.2 Search forums, SEO improvements and dev team news

Screenshot 2020-08-03 at 10.47.31.webpA new way to surface content

Forums are usually devoted to a single subject matter and the threads they contain relate to that subject matter, unless it's all gone wrong and your users are wandering off topic. Threads belong to their parent forums, so if your board separates posts about kittens from posts about puppies into separate forums, you are never going to see a kitten thread and a puppy thread sitting next to each other within your forum hierarchy. This is how it has always been, it's the basic nature of the discussion forum paradigm.

But what if you want to have a forum that contains all threads from across your entire board that were posted in the week before last, or all threads started by moderators, or all threads that have no replies or... we could go on here.

Of course, we already have a mechanism to find those threads that meet those criteria in the form of the search system, but wouldn't it be great to be able to simply click on a named forum and get those matching threads returned as though they actually belonged to that forum? Well, with XenForo 2.2, you can.

Introducing Search Forums

forum-search-list.png

Search forums are a brand new type of node, which aggregate threads from your entire installation based on criteria of your choosing. This allows your members to browse a more diverse selection of threads as though they were all posted in the same forum.

forum-search-view.png
The simplest use of search forums might be to display threads from a handful of different forums, but the same comprehensive criteria system available in the 'Batch update threads' tool is at your fingertips.

forum-search-add.pngAdd-on developers, as ever, are able to extend this system to provide new options.

To ensure this feature performs as well as possible, results are cached for each user. You can set how long the cache lasts to make the appropriate trade-off between accuracy and performance.

tl;dr

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read through this and find the search nodes interesting, but for a use case, I had. I'm unsure if this was answered, though.

Can the admin set up the node to include all tags/prefixes or is it user-defined? Say I have two prefixes, one for XFMG and one for XF (I know XFMG may not be implemented right now, just adding it as another content type over threads), both being "Apples". Can I put those prefixes into a search node and it pulls up all the prefixes (or tags) with "Apples"? Or is this more user-centric of what they want to see in a node?

Thanks! I was going to say Nifty, but I will echo your Groovy!

Does the magnifying glass honor read/unread or always stay in read status?

Last edited:
My understanding is that we can create a search forum using any search criteria and then filter threads based on view count to display threads only with specific views, like threads with 10000 views and more etc.

Same way we can create a search forum to display all threads with polls in it and then filter them to display only those threads with particular vote count and above.

Top Bottom