Lack of interest Search feature in styles template area

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
I would like to request a search feature within a template as we are editing it. vBulletin has this feature and its the "Find" field under the template when its opened. This would be a great help for designing styles.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm assuming you mean in the browser. I do not mean in the browser i mean in the template area itself. The browser search can really suck when you are looking inside a template for a certain code.

You want to open a template in your browser and search that template for specific code, right?

CTRL + F will do that...You need to click inside of the template before you search so that your cursor is in the template box.

No I do not want to open the template in my browser just by itself. I'm talking about a feature that is built into the template system where you can search the template you are working on by putting the code, word whatever into the Find box and then hitting the Find button for it to find the code in the template. its a built in thing not the browser where you click on the Edit link at the top and choose Find. that is not what I'm talking about.

Are you talking about a feature that lets you search over all the templates in your current style. Say there is a little bit of CSS I can't find hidden away in one of the templates. I'd be able to search for the title and it would show me which template that's in?

Is that what you are talking about, because that's the only other thing I could think of, other than what Ryan already referred too.

I am pretty sure he is talking about how in vB you can edit a template then near the bottom it has a box that says "search in template" then to the right of the box it has "find" so that you could search within the template.

That is exactly what I'm talking about and no using the browser search does not always find what you need within templates. I've always found that an inner search has done the job.

Can you give an example of when a browser search wasn't able to find a search string?
A search is a search as far as I am aware.

Its never works for me when editing a template within a script/software so it does not matter. I prefer something within the software itself because it usually always works.

Actually, I've had that same problem so I know what he means. Like, searching for a color code that I know is in there, but for some reason the browser search doesn't "see" it.

(And really, is there any need for the "um, ok... I'm rolling my eyes" Ryan? Nothing puts me off a product faster than somebody in the customer support section mocking my problem.)

Yeah I did not say anything about the eye roll it pisses me off. I've had it not find exactly what I need in the templates on many different software platforms including vbulletin, wordpress etc. It will find everything else all over the "actual" web page but not inside a template.

I just don't understand why the browser search would not work and assume it's not the browser - but the user.

I assume that in this thread, the OP might have come to the realization that a browser more than likely does do this but that's not enough...since it was included in vB and the OP became accustomed to it in vB, he thinks he is entitled to it in XF as well.

Regardless, this most definitely does not need to be added to the XF software, because it's a standard feature in every modern browser - and yes, it does work.

Actually, I've had that same problem so I know what he means. Like, searching for a color code that I know is in there, but for some reason the browser search doesn't "see" it.

I've had it not find exactly what I need in the templates on many different software platforms including vbulletin, wordpress etc. It will find everything else all over the "actual" web page but not inside a template.

When you search, are you sure you have your cursor in the template box (like I mentioned earlier)?

Top Bottom