Scaleability of xenForo?

question

Unity3d is in the process of migrating from xenForo to Lithium. It is not going well.

A user on the Unity forum indicated that one of the reasons for leaving xenForo (which the community liked a lot) was that xenForo was not sufficiently scalable for a growing company such as Unity3d.

Is this true?

Lithium seems to have more analytical features, which might be what they are after.

I don't think XenForo is less scalable; Lithium is also PHP so they would face the same problems as XenForo when it comes to scale.

After a lot of digging by our community we have discovered that Unity has as you suggested, off-loaded its forum to Lithium and their servers.

We expect this was done to save money, at the cost of some jobs and our ease-of-use.

We really like XenForo, but sadly, I don't think we will get it back at Unity. Thank you for your assistance.

I'm pretty sure Lithium is Java. Either way, Lithium is always offered as a SAAS, meaning Lithium actually host it for the customer.

Liam
Oh, I was thinking about the framework.

You'ld be suprised how adverse companies can be at paying wages to maintain an inhouse system vs paying operating costs for someone else todo things.
I wouldn't be surprised. If the cost of maintaining XenForo addons/customisations and hosting is so much that it outweighs the benefits, then it makes sense to outsource it to a 3rd party all-in-one solution.

Top Bottom