1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scaleability of xenForo?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by question, Jul 10, 2016.

1. question

question New Member

Unity3d is in the process of migrating from xenForo to Lithium. It is not going well.

A user on the Unity forum indicated that one of the reasons for leaving xenForo (which the community liked a lot) was that xenForo was not sufficiently scalable for a growing company such as Unity3d.

Is this true?
  2. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Personally, I feel not.

However, I have used lithium communities and they are the preferred choice for 'corporate' settings.

It seems likely they'd go this way.

semprot and question like this.
  3. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

Lithium seems to have more analytical features, which might be what they are after.

I don't think XenForo is less scalable; Lithium is also PHP so they would face the same problems as XenForo when it comes to scale.
    question likes this.
  4. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Lithium is Java. Either way, Lithium is always offered as a SAAS, meaning Lithium actually host it for the customer.

question likes this.
  5. question

question New Member

After a lot of digging by our community we have discovered that Unity has as you suggested, off-loaded its forum to Lithium and their servers.

We expect this was done to save money, at the cost of some jobs and our ease-of-use.

We really like XenForo, but sadly, I don't think we will get it back at Unity. Thank you for your assistance.
  6. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

I highly doubt it's to save money. Lithium costs multiple thousands of dollars.

feldon30 likes this.
  7. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

One of the biggies of lithium is it's social platform(s) integration.
    tyteen4a03 likes this.
  8. Xon

Xon Well-Known Member

You'ld be suprised how adverse companies can be at paying wages to maintain an inhouse system vs paying operating costs for someone else todo things.
  9. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

Oh, I was thinking about the framework.

I wouldn't be surprised. If the cost of maintaining XenForo addons/customisations and hosting is so much that it outweighs the benefits, then it makes sense to outsource it to a 3rd party all-in-one solution.