Samsung Note 2014 edition or Ipad Air.

Like someone else mentioned, you're much better off picking up both devices and playing around with them for a bit, and then make a decision. Chances are you'll have pretty good idea what you prefer afterwards. I own several iOS and Android devices, and it's quite easy to achieve the same results on both.

As for stylus', they make sense in certain circumstances, such as note taking, for those with orthopedic problems, or any kind of detailed drawing -- good look getting your fingernail to be as precise when using it on something like the iPad (or any other capacitive touch screen without stylus support). It's a bit amusing watching some of the designers in our office, who own iPads, resort to pen and paper during our weekly meetings, while those with something like a Note don't skip a beat. It'll be interesting to see how HP Slate 7 Extreme does, and if any other vendors adopt Nvidia's DirectStylus tech.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that there are dedicated powered styluses for iPad, and they do work rather well, although apps have to be specifically coded for them. They are also, alas, really bloody expensive. Here's one example I remember - Wacom's website is kinda pokey so they might do other powered styluses and I just couldn't find them: http://www.wacom.com/en/gb/creative/intuos-creative-stylus

You can get cheaper, conductive foam-tip styluses that are thrown in with things for free, but they're awful. Wacom do a few that might be good, but I don't want to venture the £15 to find out! ;)

It's worth noting that there are dedicated powered styluses for iPad, and they do work rather well, although apps have to be specifically coded for them. They are also, alas, really bloody expensive. Here's one example I remember - Wacom's website is kinda pokey so they might do other powered styluses and I just couldn't find them: http://www.wacom.com/en/gb/creative/intuos-creative-stylus

You can get cheaper, conductive foam-tip styluses that are thrown in with things for free, but they're awful. Wacom do a few that might be good, but I don't want to venture the £15 to find out! ;)

Yes, there are, but they all generally suck, and another drawback is apps have to use the SDKs provided for them. It's not so much a problem with styluses themselves. This will always be the case on an iPad (and most Andtoid devices) until it's supported at the OS-level, such as through infrared tracking, since the capacitive touchscreen requires these styluses to accept bulkier input (i.e., multiple points) to emulate finger presses. It also rules out most screen protectors, for those who swear by them.

Like someone else mentioned, you're much better off picking up both devices and playing around with them for a bit, and then make a decision. Chances are you'll have pretty good idea what you prefer afterwards. I own several iOS and Android devices, and it's quite easy to achieve the same results on both.

As for stylus', they make sense in certain circumstances, such as note taking, for those with orthopedic problems, or any kind of detailed drawing -- good look getting your fingernail to be as precise when using it on something like the iPad (or any other capacitive touch screen without stylus support). It's a bit amusing watching some of the designers in our office, who own iPads, resort to pen and paper during our weekly meetings, while those with something like a Note don't skip a beat. It'll be interesting to see how HP Slate 7 Extreme does, and if any other vendors adopt Nvidia's DirectStylus tech.
Not to mention that Samsung has a lot of stylus features that actually are useful.

I think like many others said it depends on the use case although for me I prefer iOS since I already use a Mac as my main machine and an iPhone 5s so the iPad makes the most sense since it can easily sync everything across all devices.

Like @Shelly said however, for ebooks I would go android as it's cheaper and you don't even need a full-color display.

If you really want a stylus, there are some for the iPad but are all pretty terrible (imo). Although this one looks like it has potential: https://adonit.net/jot/script/

Just get both and return the one you don't like?

I think like many others said it depends on the use case although for me I prefer iOS since I already use a Mac as my main machine and an iPhone 5s so the iPad makes the most sense since it can easily sync everything across all devices.

Like @Shelly said however, for ebooks I would go android as it's cheaper and you don't even need a full-color display.

If you really want a stylus, there are some for the iPad but are all pretty terrible (imo). Although this one looks like it has potential: https://adonit.net/jot/script/

Just get both and return the one you don't like?
It's not that the stylus are terrible, its that iPad doesn't support styluses (well).

I own a few different Jot, and they work well (especially the Jot Pro) on all the touch devices I use them on.

It's not that the stylus are terrible, its that iPad doesn't support styluses (well).

I own a few different Jot, and they work well (especially the Jot Pro) on all the touch devices I use them on.

In fairness, the screen isn't designed for styluses. At the same time its nothing whatsoever to do with the actual glass or the touch pickup - both the samsung and apple tablets use the same technology in that respect. It's completely software based that the issue comes in.

It would be nice if Apple had better stylus support as part of the accessibility options. We recently bought an iPad for an elderly relative and she's finding some of the actions near impossible - I know she'll never get pinch/unpinch zoom at all, and scrolling is proving to be tough. What someone needs to come up with is a stylus with a roller ball on the end, so you can easily move it around and use it for scrolling.

I just upgraded from the iPad 2 to Air and the resolution differences as well as weight are worth the change. In terms of a stylus, I've tried dozens. They all act like crayons. The 1.9 mm JotScript for Evernote is appealing but the cost is keeping me from buying one - I can picture my students grabbing it.

In fairness, the screen isn't designed for styluses. At the same time its nothing whatsoever to do with the actual glass or the touch pickup - both the samsung and apple tablets use the same technology in that respect. It's completely software based that the issue comes in.

It would be nice if Apple had better stylus support as part of the accessibility options. We recently bought an iPad for an elderly relative and she's finding some of the actions near impossible - I know she'll never get pinch/unpinch zoom at all, and scrolling is proving to be tough. What someone needs to come up with is a stylus with a roller ball on the end, so you can easily move it around and use it for scrolling.
No, not at all. As far as I'm aware, all of the Note series uses an integrated Wacom digitizer, which is why it has such good stylus support. There is also the software support for the stylus, as well as the many features that are exclusive to the Note line. The S-Pen is also better than most styluses, and has a lot of app support due to their API for it.

There's a cheap stylus over at Best Buy that has a soft rubber tip that might do what you need, though I do not know of its performance on iOS. It worked well on my Nexus 7 (2012) and on my newer devices as well.

I just upgraded from the iPad 2 to Air and the resolution differences as well as weight are worth the change. In terms of a stylus, I've tried dozens. They all act like crayons. The 1.9 mm JotScript for Evernote is appealing but the cost is keeping me from buying one - I can picture my students grabbing it.

Yes, because as I said above iOS doesn't use a digitizer that has fine-tuned pressure detection or stylus support (like the Note series). Also they do not have anything for stylus support in the OS itself.

i love my 160gb, 10000mah Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Screenwrite, Multitasking, 4K video, Dual Mode, lasts two days, glorious.....

Top Bottom