1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Note 2014 edition or Ipad Air.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pope Viper, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Pope Viper

Pope Viper Well-Known Member

These are the two I'm stuck between.

I don't seem to be able to find the cellular Samsung though.

Thoughts?

2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

for what ?
    It depends on what you are going to use it for.

I like Tablet PCs because I can put my writing hand on the glass.

3. Pope Viper

Trying to make a decision on which one, and where the heck I can find the cell version of the samsung.

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

who wants a stylus? you're going to lose it. yuck.

5. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Just bought an Air because I prefer iOS. Not other particular reason. :)

Chris D likes this.
  6. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

The stylus integrates into the body of the device, so unless he doesn't put it back he isn't likely to lose it.

7. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

Pretty much choose the one you like the operating system on. Do you prefer Android or iOS? Once you figure that out, your choice is simple.

8. Forsaken

Also matters on what you plan to do with the tablet.

For reading ebooks, Android is definitely the best choice. You have more choices in where you can purchase your products, and you have a much larger e-reader selection (I prefer Fabrik for the syncing option and just general usability of it).

Media consumption really depends on where you get your media, or what you plan to do with your media. For streaming I prefer Google Music All Access over Spotify or other options due to the ability to stream their full library, as well as using my own library. It also has the best auto-radio functionality I've ever used on an online radio system.

For games iOS is still better than Android, though many devs are now doing dual releases, or Android releases first (Kairosoft and a few others). You also have a better selection of emulators on Android.

Shelley likes this.
  9. ManagerJosh

I've had a number of devices in the past that had stylus that integrate into the body and I still lost it or it kept popping out.

10. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

That would be down to the individual losing things and not taking care of their stuff. I purchased 5+ pouches for tablets (3 tablets we still own in the house) and we still have all the stylus's that came with them, and they aren't integrated stylus's. This isn't a device flaw but a human one in that some people generally just don't take care of their stuff.

11. Forsaken

I take it at least one of these was a Galaxy device with an integrated stylus, right? If not you can't really make a comment on whether or not their stylus will pop out.

Unless the device is defective, it shouldn't be able to fall out at all. I've also rarely heard of any incidents where it has fallen out of its slot.

12. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Go and try both out - and figure out which ecosystem you want.

iOS: A lot more apps, and a lot more high-quality ones due to apps being 'vetted' to meet criteria. Downside: Locked down to the platform to a higher degree.
    Android: Less apps, a lot of pretty piss poor/nonfunctional apps, however you can get a refund within 15 minutes (IIRC) of purchasing. Upside: A very open OS.

At the end of the day both will do what you want of them. It's just about trying them out and deciding which one you like best.

Don't let fanboys dictate to you that X is better because Y sucks though. It's a personal decision.

I've got an iPad 3 and a Nexus 7. Admittedly I tend to use the iPad a lot more, however I have no issues with the Nexus at all - it's a great device.

Shelley likes this.
  13. Pope Viper

Now I have to figure out where I can see the Samsung that has the cellular.

14. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

I got an iPad Air, and I like it (was an upgrade from my non-retina iPad 2). Like others have said, it's really just a personal preference. I think the apps on iOS are higher quality than the ones on the Android side. Android is definitely a more open OS, but at the end of the day I didn't care about that, because I just want something that works and works well and the iPad does what I want.

For me, my main computer is a Mac, and iOS just integrates better with my desktop machine.

intradox likes this.
  15. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

Not to derail too much, but I'm thinking of upgrading an iPad 2 to an Air - is it worth an upgrade?

16. Qwest

Qwest Member

it is if you go to bestbuy and trade your 2 in :)

17. ManagerJosh

18. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

I think so... The difference between the retina screen vs. the non-retina screen makes it worth it in my opinion. Lots of other stuff.. Smaller, lighter, way faster processor/graphics, etc... But for me the biggest thing was just the screen resolution.

LPH and Teapot like this.
  19. Kenson M

Kenson M Active Member

I own the Galaxy Note 10.1 (first version) and I love it's stylus, it detects pressure sensitivity pretty well.

20. Forsaken

:rolleyes: Great argument, you should almost be a politician.

Apple has already submitted a patent for an 'optical stylus', so they have at least considered it enough that that argument is pointless. Not to mention the stylus usage at that point in time was still for bulky tablets, and not for an integrated stylus such as the Note series has.

And it isn't like Steve Jobs/Apple have not gone back on past decisions after seeing the success of certain things such as smaller form factor tablets, lower end/cheaper phones or decisions in regards to platform focus.

Done with that, so back on topic:

If you're considering the the Samsung, the stylus is good for most things, but it really depends on what you want to do with it. For interaction it is fairly good, and writing is decent as well. For drawing with it, or anything creative you'd be better off grabbing a Wacom or Jot stylus (I like Jot tips for stability).