Safari push notifications coming to macOS and iOS

Works great. The navbar is sometimes flickering, not sure if specific to PWA, but noticeable when scrolling. It comes and goes

@Chris D i think there is a problem in the PWA. When the app is open, and I’m in a PM (not sure if it’s the same for a thread), and receive a notification that I get a new message, when I click on this notification, the page of the PWA doesn’t refresh.

I need to refresh manually to see the new message. I think every click on a notification should also trigger a page refresh so users can see the new content or else they will get confused.

Reactions: Lee
Swiping the screen for me doesn’t go back a page, just highlights text sometimes.

Maybe I misunderstood. I’m on iPhone with 16.4.1 perhaps I need to wait for an update.

On the one hand, I sympathise because we try our best to avoid gesture based navigation because a gesture is inherently invisible as an action and therefore unintuitive.

But on the other hand, smartphones are renowned for such gesture based actions like swiping on screens for navigation, pull down to refresh etc. and there’s a high probability that every app you use every day has gesture based navigation and therefore it shouldn’t be too surprising or unknown.

I’d like to add a back button but it’s difficult to find an intuitive place to put it and to justify the screen real estate.

So: for now just get used to swiping left/right at the edge of the screen.

Swiping the screen for me doesn’t go back a page, just highlights text sometimes.

Maybe I misunderstood. I’m on iPhone with 16.4.1 perhaps I need to wait for an update.
Swiping from the edge of the screen has been in Safari and other apps for many years.

Is there a setting maybe I am missing then? Or I’m just doing it too fast, too slow, too light…

It seems difficult to not be able to do it if I’m honest.

Put thumb at the left hand edge of the screen and touch and move it to the right. You should be dragging the page to reveal the previous page.

The condition being that there does need to be a previous page in your history. If you’ve just opened the app from a notification there may not be a previous page to navigate to.

Two fingers the page moves to the right but just reveals a blue background

Attachments

• IMG_5799.webp
    IMG_5799.webp
    27.9 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom