Safari push notifications coming to macOS and iOS

I don’t understand why there is a need for an Add-on? All you need to do is modify the manifest file
There is no "manifest file" for XenForo, the manifest is dynamically generated by XenForo PHP code.

So unless you want to patch the code, wait for official support or modify the template to use a static manifest file instead an Add-on (that does nothing but set mode to standalone) is needed.

an Add-on (that does nothing but set mode to standalone) is needed.
But there seems to be some speculation this is not ideal for users:
Once it will be core in a few weeks your users will need to re-enable and add your phone again to their Home Screen. It will be very annoying to do all over again, so I’m not even installing it on my live forum.

There is no "manifest file" for XenForo, the manifest is dynamically generated by XenForo PHP code.

So unless you want to patch the code, wait for official support or modify the template to use a static manifest file instead an Add-on (that does nothing but set mode to standalone) is needed.
Ok, "manifest data" would be more apt, but lets not split hairs.

I managed to get this working with no addon and I am not a developer by any stretch.

But there seems to be some speculation this is not ideal for users:
Well, if XenForo want's to support push on iOS there is no way to get around setting mode to standalone so I don't see much reason not to do just that right now (if you don't mind the missing UI controls).

@Lee Let us know you wisdom :)
How did you do that without either patching the manifest renderer, modifying the template to point to a static manifest (or using webserver / proxy level rewrite or string replace)?

Ah wait, I have my controls hidden on Samsung and can just swipe up instead, I guess you mean those?

iOS doesn't have anything like that.

But yes, I do just the back button a lot.

Well, if XenForo want's to support push on iOS there is no way to get around setting mode to standalone so I don't see much reason not to do just that right now (if you don't mind the missing UI controls).

@Lee Let us know you wisdom :)
How did you do that without either patching the manifest renderer, modifying the template to point to a static manifest (or using webserver / proxy level rewrite or string replace)?
Now you are putting words in my mouth. Please show me where I said I achieved this without doing one of those things. I have clearly stated that the manifest data needs modification, of which you have pointed out multiple ways to achieve. At least one without an Addon....

You can use it to browse and get notifications - so long as you don't want to go "back". :ROFLMAO:
you can go back by swiping to the left of the display and forward to the right of the display with your finger (like navigating in Safari between web pages). The only button that's missing is refresh, but I don't remember the last time (as a regular user) I used it.

Reactions: Lee
you can go back by swiping to the left of the display and forward to the right of the display with your finger (like navigating in Safari between web pages). The only button that's missing is refresh, but I don't remember the last time (as a regular user) I used it.
Can you pull down from the top to refresh a page?

This is good to know!

OK so it’s more or less useless then?
Everyone is using it on my site without any issues. I think because the alert still takes you to the new content and that's all that people really care about as opposed to manual browsing of the site from the home page.

Top Bottom