Ruthless - Swedish Gaming Community

Britney

logo30.png

https://www.ruthless.se/
A Swedish gaming community that has been around since 2010. Started off with a Shivtr site but later on developed our own SMF site with a custom theme.
Since SMF lacks updated addons and overall support we moved our forum to Xenforo early 2017 and has since then updated the site almost every week.
Ruthless has since stat focused much on the community so the forum together with Teamspeak and Discord is really the core for the whole community.

It has been really fun working with Xenforo. So easy to implement new things and there are so much awesome support and add-ons for a gaming site. I am really impressed with what you can do.
Next step is to move the whole site to Xenforo 2, but we are still exploring what we want to have and what addons that we can live without.

I finally wanted to share what I've done, even if it is not that much custom work I've always looked around here for inspiration, hopefully, someone will get some from my site as well :)

Features
Start page - We are using XenPorta as the start page. It's really simple. Just a news-slider followed by news. To the right we have some widgets as well.
We have also placed our social media in a toolsbar to the left so our new members easy can find info to Discord and Teamspeak.

Background and theme - The theme is UI.X, I think most here is familiar with it :)
We use all its features including the background changer. What we did here is that we've put the timer on 9000+ sec so that each time you refresh the page it's a new background, but it does not change once you are on the page.
We also use the AD-Styler, in order for that to work with the background changer we use a transparent PNG as the standard image.

HTML pages - We have integrated the theme with bootstrap so that we easy can change HTML pages to look better.
We also use some syntaxes on our game pages so that they appear different depending if you are a guest, logged in or member.

1534765827940.webp

1534766344219.webp

1534766462695.webp

Quick facts
Site name:
Ruthless
Launch date (Xenforo): March 2017
Category: Gaming
Statistics: 8000+ members | 150k+ posts

Let me know if there is anything I've missed our that you wonder about!

Best Regards

Looks very nice, well done!

What are you using for your shop?
I'm currently using Spreadshirt, so it's basically just an iframe :)
I also tried to scale down as much as possible on the Spreadshirt shop, for example there is no banner or the shop in order for it to be more "slim".

New design. Inspiration from Forum banter with the news images.
Updated so the banner uses a new image each time you refresh the site, big thanks to @frm for the help!

UIX is used and base and we have made som modifications, mostly it's the header.
Probably going to redo the menu and the forum category but the ground work is complete :)

1562353299521.webp

Nice looking site but its super slow for me, i am using a VPN through Canada but still its really really slow loading times for me for some reason..

good luck with the site mate.

Nice looking site but its super slow for me, i am using a VPN through Canada but still its really really slow loading times for me for some reason..

good luck with the site mate.
Hmm, strange. I think it might be the VPN as we host the website in Sweden, usually really fast loading times for our members.
Thanks!

Checking pingdom is pretty slow also.

D rating
(not 100% sure if that link will work.)

maybe its the javascript, i wouldnt know enough to tell you.

on a side note I turned off my VPN and tried and it wasnt any better (im from Australia so maybe thats why)

Checking pingdom is pretty slow also.

D rating
(not 100% sure if that link will work.)

maybe its the javascript, i wouldnt know enough to tell you.

on a side note I turned off my VPN and tried and it wasnt any better (im from Australia so maybe thats why)
Thanks, I will look into that!

Top Bottom