XF 1.5 runaway xf_search table? (elastisearch)

sross

Hi,

3 days ago all my db dumps were around 550mb, yesterday was 700, today is 1.2GB. It looks like my xf_search keeps growing. Have tried a repair/optimise and it was 300mb larger after that. What is the best way to tackle this? Thanks

This table can get larger than people think because it's not only used to cache search results but it old various "find new" (posts, profile posts, etc) caches, which are a commonly hit page. It clears results after 24 hours.

I have the same, exactly starting after I've upgraded to 1.5.22
Before, I had the table xf_search with around 5-15 MB, now it is raising daily a lot, at the moment it's 4 GB!

The Daily Clean Up cron runs daily, just last night.

So, what can I do?

• Empty xf_search manually in phpadmin to free the database?
  • What to do, if it increases again? I am sure, it will.

As mentioned, this table can get much larger than you might expect as it stores all "find new" results, which it's possible that bots might hit. If the old rows are being removed (which you can confirm based on the unix timestamp stored in the table), then it will only store the last 24 hours worth of searches and the behavior is as expected.

Thank you @Mike

Your hint for the timestamp finally convinces me. The maximum duration seems to be exactly 24 hours.

I would have bet my fortune that the size of the table would slowly increase week by week. It does, too, but not only in total without cleaning, but apparently actually because of the increasing high season in my forum. Wow, +4GB xf_search for 750k posts... And the season started around the update to 1.5.22 - if I hadn't checked the timestamp myself, I would still swear... :)

Well, we'll see - the season will increase extremely until the end of the year, probably I'll get 15-20 GB... Performance losses are not to be expected with this size/number?

Thank you for providing the worried administrators support on an Advent Sunday, incredibly friendly.