1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a Bug RSS Feed

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by TheRevTastic, Dec 1, 2011.

1. TheRevTastic

TheRevTastic Well-Known Member

Over in my thread I started asking about a problem with the RSS Feed here http://xenforo.com/community/posts/295910/ I have found out it's not just this site but every XF powered forum that the RSS isn't valid for.

Which makes it impossible to import into another forum platform like IP.Board (which I need to do :p).

I haven't tried importing the rss into anything else yet but here are two validation links to the Announcements forum here and the one over on AdminExtra.

AdminExtra: http://validator.w3.org/feed/check....tra.com/forums/read-all-about-it.78/index.rss

Here: http://validator.w3.org/feed/check.....com/community/forums/announcements/index.rss

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. TheRevTastic

Don't really know anything about the Google RSS API, but is that for importing RSS feeds into a XenForo forum or exporting them into something else?

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The Google API can be used to add a feed on any page/site.

As I stated anyway, the feed works fine in other readers.

5. TheRevTastic

This is kind of mind boggling as I am being sent here from there and there from here :(.

Brandon Sheley likes this.
  6. optrex

optrex Active Member

I'd like to see some content in the feed not just links. Can that be added please?

7. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is an issue with IPB requiring content in the feeds (which isn't required by the spec).

The author validation isn't a significant issue and hasn't caused issues anywhere.

8. Luis

Luis Well-Known Member

Then is correct that only can be extracted the author and the link to the feeds but no the content of web sites that using software XenForo.

Thanks

9. PoLiZe

PoLiZe Well-Known Member

We need the content of the threads (only 250 characters) for the RSS feed!

Luis likes this.
  10. TheRevTastic

IPS said that they require content because it imports into a topic so importing no content wouldn't make a topic anywho, so mainly it's an issue for both platforms, or more like a compatibility issue.

11. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

See my response in the other thread; it is not an XF issue because the RSS specs only require an item title or description, not both. Sounds like IPS made assumptions not taking into account the actual RSS specs.

12. TheRevTastic

Well I think they see it as that you can't have an empty topic so they import content into it.

13. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

I understand what they think but that doesn't change that that they are not coding against standards.

14. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

To be fair I kind of see your point on this one. I was going to import RSS Feeds from the XenForo Announcement forum board on my own site, mainly to keep updated with things via my own forum (new update release e.t.c). But when running the "Preview" of what gets displayed in a thread, I instantly decided it was a No go option.

True, it's very hard to import RSS Feeds onto a forum as THREADS if there's no topic content being pulled. There no point bringing in just a URL link alone and you can't class it as being a thread pulled in at all. I bet many others here have done the same, gone to pull XenForo RSS Feeds in and removed it after seeing what gets posted - nothing really!

RSS in XenForo is more designed for browser link feeds only, we're no content is required just a link-back.

But, if XenForo ever expand the RSS feature to include forum content. They must add a Global On|Off switch with it. There are too many sites now scrapping content on Blogs full of adverts to make money from your forums e.t.c. At least having only title pulled solves that problem right now and no global RSS Feed On|Off switch is needed

TheRevTastic and Luis like this.