XF 1.3 RSS feed not working

KariFinn

Xenforo version 1.3RC1.

At the moment the RSS feed seems to be useless as it only links to first post of the thread. The feed shows timestamp and poster of the most recent post but all links take user to the original post, not the last post mentioned in timestamp:

2014-02-26_12h37_11.webp

The same seems to happen here at Xenforo forums; the RSS feed shows the timestamp of the last post but links only take to the first post of the thread (post ID is missing from the URL).

All tips and ideas greatly appreciated.

Kari

Last edited:
This is generally the designed behavior - the time is the last update, but the entry is for the thread itself so everything reflects that. You mention that the name is that of the last poster but I can't reproduce that (here or on your forum).

You would need an add-on or code modification to change the behavior.

I notice I explained myself really badly, apologies for that.

Here's an example of what I mean:

With a permission from the forums owner, I am trying to create both Windows Phone and Windows 8 apps for a few forums I am an active member. Two of the forums use another forum software, two of them Xenforo.

When I call the feed from the app, those non-Xenforo forums give me the right content and furthermore when the content is clicked it takes to the last post of the thread, that of the timestamp. I made a fast simple app now to get screenshots from the emulator:

1.webp 2.webp

When I do the same, call the feed from the Xenforo forums, I only get the thread title which when clicked shows link with thread ID but no post ID:

3.webp 4.webp

I am just trying to figure out how to call the correct content from my app from a Xenforo based forum?

Kari

I can't speak to the content issue -- if it's in the feed, then that would be an element relating to your app needing to read it; if it's not in the feed, the admin has either configured it that way or is using a version that doesn't have content in the feed. (The feed in your example does have content in the feed though.)

But what you're wanting isn't how the feed works. It's a feed of threads and it effectively emulates the view of the thread list as would be seen by a guest: the order is based on the last post date but the thread link takes you to the thread itself.

Right. But, you see, for example, I use RSS from the forum to display recent activity on other site, even other domain.
What happens is on the page where I display recent activity on the forum, users see what thread generates the activity, but don't see actual recent answer - just the initial post. This doesn't stimulate them to go check what really happens there.
I remember that in vBulletin there was external.php that handled this kind of things. And initially it also displayed only recent thread. But then new features appeared and you could do things like external.php?lastpost=1 if you needed to display not recent threads, but see what actually happens on the forum.
Before this happened, I used some third-party pluging to achieve this. With Xenforo which I like right now I don't see neither built-in functionality of this kind, neither some sort of plugin for this. And I do need it unfortunately..

Right. But, you see, for example, I use RSS from the forum to display recent activity on other site, even other domain.
What happens is on the page where I display recent activity on the forum, users see what thread generates the activity, but don't see actual recent answer - just the initial post. This doesn't stimulate them to go check what really happens there.
I remember that in vBulletin there was external.php that handled this kind of things. And initially it also displayed only recent thread. But then new features appeared and you could do things like external.php?lastpost=1 if you needed to display not recent threads, but see what actually happens on the forum.
Before this happened, I used some third-party pluging to achieve this. With Xenforo which I like right now I don't see neither built-in functionality of this kind, neither some sort of plugin for this. And I do need it unfortunately..

Did you have any joy with this Boris?

Currently enduring the same issue. App using RSS feed but the content looks dated as it directs to first post.

Thanks

Xenforo version 1.3RC1.
At the moment the RSS feed seems to be useless as it only links to first post of the thread. The feed shows timestamp and poster of the most recent post but all links take user to the original post, not the last post mentioned in timestamp:

Actually is there some setting for rss to display not recently updated threads but recent posts themselves? Need it badly but can't find the setting..

Did you have any joy with this Boris?

Currently enduring the same issue. App using RSS feed but the content looks dated as it directs to first post.

Thanks
I wrote an Add-On for this. You guys might want to check it out.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/4896/

Top Bottom