Resource icon

RSS Feed for Categories and Child Forums 1.0.0

No permission to download

shabbirbhimani

shabbirbhimani submitted a new resource:

RSS Feed for Categories and Child Forums - RSS Feed for Categories and Forum Feeds Include threads from sub forums

A simple addon that enables RSS feeds for categories and adds threads in child forums into the rss feed of the parent forum. If you enable pages for categories, the RSS url will be added to the Meta header section.

If you use SEO friendly URLs, the url for RSS is same as for any forums

/forums/<CATEGORY_URL_PORTION>/index.rss

Example: http://www.go4expert.com/forums/articles/index.rss

For forums the RSS url remains the same and it just adds the threads from the child forums to...

Read more about this resource...

I am getting an error on line 67 about first parameter being "null" instead of array on certain forums.

Nah they can't recreate it.

I'm still evaluating my needs for this.

I can get around it in other ways.

You would think the default xenforo would list all posts of sub forums as they are all connected to the parent.

Any way to sort the feed, like how you can with the normal rss feeds for forums, i want in list of thread start times, not with the most recent post in an old thread at the top.

EDIT: Figured it out after doing a ton of searching on here.

I changed a section in the Forum.php in your library addon

Code:
 $threads = $threadModel->getThreads(
            array(
                'forum_id' => $forumIds,
                ),
            array(
                'limit' => $threadsPerPage * 3, // to filter
                'order' => 'last_post_date',
                'join' =>
                        XenForo_Model_Thread::FETCH_FORUM | XenForo_Model_Thread::FETCH_FORUM_OPTIONS |
                        XenForo_Model_Thread::FETCH_USER | XenForo_Model_Thread::FETCH_FIRSTPOST,
                'permissionCombinationId' => $visitor['permission_combination_id']
            )
        );

I removed the LAST_ part on line 56, and that makes the RSS feed sort by started thread time.

Might be nice to add as option in your next option, so far its a great add-on, love it! :)

Last edited:
Any way to sort the feed, like how you can with the normal rss feeds for forums, i want in list of thread start times, not with the most recent post in an old thread at the top.

EDIT: Figured it out after doing a ton of searching on here.

I changed a section in the Forum.php in your library addon

Code:
 $threads = $threadModel->getThreads(
            array(
                'forum_id' => $forumIds,
                ),
            array(
                'limit' => $threadsPerPage * 3, // to filter
                'order' => 'last_post_date',
                'join' =>
                        XenForo_Model_Thread::FETCH_FORUM | XenForo_Model_Thread::FETCH_FORUM_OPTIONS |
                        XenForo_Model_Thread::FETCH_USER | XenForo_Model_Thread::FETCH_FIRSTPOST,
                'permissionCombinationId' => $visitor['permission_combination_id']
            )
        );

I removed the LAST_ part on line 56, and that makes the RSS feed sort by started thread time.

Might be nice to add as option in your next option, so far its a great add-on, love it! :)
Never got an email about your reply and just saw an alert now. yes removing that line will make thread sort by thread start time.

This is exactly what i've been looking for. I've spent the last few weeks trying to write my own script that merges rss feeds from multiple forums and i failed horribly. Many many thanks.

Oh, this is something that I had thought about a couple of times before, but since there was no request for it, I didn't give it much thoughts. I often adds RSS feeds from various sites into my IFTTT account to make them send email notification on updates, so I thought there'd be someone who'd also need something like this for my forum. Sadly though, there wasn't much traffic into my forum, especially since we just reopened it recently, so there was never any content worth 'subscribing', lol.. Anyway, I simply wanted to say that I'd be bookmarking this resource in case I'd it in the future, so thanks in advance for this!

Top Bottom