XF 2.2 Robots disguised as Guests

Tradidi

In the Members Online I see quite a few Guests that in fact are bots. I know/suspect this because when I look up their IP address their host name contains bot (eg 17-58-99-196.applebot.apple.com). Is there any way we can exclude these from the Guests count and put them in the Robots count where they belong?

Max Taxable

There's a free addon for that. Name of it escapes me presently.

EDIT: I remembered. @Sim is also very reputable and keeps this addon updated well.

Tradidi

I guess you were thinking of this one?

I just tried it out but it's missing quite a few bots. Maybe there's another/better AddOn?

Max Taxable

I just tried it out but it's missing quite a few bots
Post them in his thread and he will update. It's kind of a collaborative thing. Plus I'm not sure it picks them up retroactively, like if they already are showing in WoL before you installed the addon.

Last edited:

Max Taxable

Plus you might like this one of ours, for conveniently getting the user agent string in the who's online list.

-- James from OzzModz/Snog's

djbaxter

I guess you were thinking of this one?

I just tried it out but it's missing quite a few bots. Maybe there's another/better AddOn?
Install it and when you identify new bots have it submitted to @Sim and he will add then to the next release.

Sim

Note that my addon can only identify bots which declare themselves via their UserAgent (which Apple's bots from this example should do!).

If someone builds a malicious bot which masks or spoofs their UserAgent, then my addon won't help - it does not detect bots via their hostname or IP address.