RM 1.1 RM File Sizes

dknife

So I'm in the midst of creating my new site based on XenForo for user management and on my current site I handle my file library myself in all custom code, including ratings etc. The Resource Manager for XenForo has a lot more desirable features I'd like to use but I'm not sure how it handles files since I can't exactly test it I guess? I tried looking for this information but couldn't find it.

I host large PDF files for my site that can reach 30-40m so uploading via HTTP isn't possibly really. On a old system with TinyPortal + SMF I used to be able to add the files via FTP then link in the download manager to the local file but utilize the manager systems. Does RM work similarly?

If I can do this can I then allocate the resource to a specific user so they can be linked as the author etc?

ok I understand from reading other threads that you can link to an external URL but you lose some functionality?

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/external-download-url.59035/

That thread indicates loss of payment gateway and file management so I can't protect the file or track its activity since an "external" URL? What does it mean by outside the root? Does that mean if it's inside the URL structure for the xenforo forums I would retain some functionality?

If I use external download URL, I could use htaccess to limit access to the file to my website as the referrer as a rewrite condition? Currently I limit downloads to logged in users only and I definitely do not want file library URLs to be posted anywhere and allow download.

Is there any reason you can't just increase the max upload value in php.ini to allow the required file sizes to be uploaded? I've got several 40mb+ .zip / .pdf files in my resource manager, and I have 50mb upload configured in php.ini

I don't have any external downloads or worry about protecting the files, so it's not something I've looked into.

Well it really depends on what my host restricts. I believe I can do up to 10mb on my current site but from memory had issues after that.

Are the files stored in SQL BINARY/BLOB? Or are the files uploaded to a local file structure that is referenced by the code and tracked in SQL only?

Well it really depends on what my host restricts. I believe I can do up to 10mb on my current site but from memory had issues after that.

Are the files stored in SQL BINARY? Or are the files uploaded to a local file structure that is referenced by the code and tracked in SQL only?
They are uploaded to the local file structure. The actual files are stored in /internal_data/attachmenets and referenced / tracked via the database.

The resource manager uses the same upload method as in forum posts.

Does that mean I could upload a placeholder file with the same name then replace the file via FTP and I'd achieve the same thing without using external URL?

After some more fiddling looks like I am able to increase my hosts limit to the sizes I need so this issue should be moot. Thanks for the replies.

After some more fiddling looks like I am able to increase my hosts limit to the sizes I need so this issue should be moot. Thanks for the replies.
How were you able to increase the host limit?

I"m trying to upload a file that is just under 50 megs in size and Resource Manager just informs that there is an error with the upload. I am assuming it is because of the size. In the Admin options for Resource Manager I've set 250 Megs as the limit temporarily to permit me to do the uploads.

upload_2014-2-9_16-42-40.webp

Thanks!

Hopefully your webhost doesn't force restrictions itself or has very high. You can create/edit the php.ini file in the root of your website and add the following:

Code:
upload_max_filesize = 50M
post_max_size = 50M
upload_tmp_dir = 50M
max_execution_time = 600
max_input_time = 600
memory_limit = 128M

Top Bottom