rich or plain text editor?

which editor do you prefer?

• rich (wysiwyg)

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • plain text

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters
Except Xenforo's

It must be purged with the holist fire and bathed in the blood of jesus so it can be cleansed of all it's impure sins.

It is the most hated feature on our site in regards to xF because when people post from any word processor it just murders the formatting to hell and back.

Not to start another editor war, but which one does support cleaning up crappy MS Word and such markup? (I really have no idea and am just asking)

Beyond that though, I think that if people feel the need to write their forum posts outside of the forums editor (as your members already to, since they are used to it), that says there's other problems with whatever editor you were using before as well. How about some feedback as to what their problems with the editor are? Then maybe those can be addressed by the xF team and then, people won't feel the need to write in an external editor and attempt to paste their text into the forum editor.

Not to start another editor war, but which one does support cleaning up crappy MS Word and such markup? (I really have no idea and am just asking)

Beyond that though, I think that if people feel the need to write their forum posts outside of the forums editor (as your members already to, since they are used to it), that says there's other problems with whatever editor you were using before as well. How about some feedback as to what their problems with the editor are? Then maybe those can be addressed by the xF team and then, people won't feel the need to write in an external editor and attempt to paste their text into the forum editor.
People don't post out of xF because it sucks. People are complaining that when they copy and paste from outside that the bbcode breaks. We are a writing community and people are on the go writing on all sorts of devices and tablets and save it till later when they are able to visit the site and post.

vBulletin and Invision Power Board handle the copy and paste into the editor just fine and it is the only quirk I have with XenForo.

People don't post out of xF because it sucks. People are complaining that when they copy and paste from outside that the bbcode breaks. We are a writing community and people are on the go writing on all sorts of devices and tablets and save it till later when they are able to visit the site and post.

vBulletin and Invision Power Board handle the copy and paste into the editor just fine and it is the only quirk I have with XenForo.

Fair enough, I was just curious as to what use cases your membership had to post from outside of it and paste into it. Thanks. =)

Is this logged as an error and will it be fixed? Let's hope so. I can see being a writing community that it's an important feature to have.

This was just released today: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ts-prevent-members-from-losing-content.26205/

Maybe that'll help a little anyway.

Except Xenforo's

It must be purged with the holist fire and bathed in the blood of jesus so it can be cleansed of all it's impure sins.

It is the most hated feature on our site in regards to xF because when people post from any word processor it just murders the formatting to hell and back.
LMFAOOOOO

Personally, I prefer a hybrid that XenForo unfortunately doesn't have... A plain text editor that you can insert BBCode into with the editor toolbar (the raw BBCode, not rendered).

To be completely honest, TinyMCE makes me want to stab someone sometimes (especially when posting code). If the editor code was somewhat modular, I'd take a stab at replacing it.

Personally, I prefer a hybrid that XenForo unfortunately doesn't have... A plain text editor that you can insert BBCode into with the editor toolbar (the raw BBCode, not rendered).

To be completely honest, TinyMCE makes me want to stab someone sometimes (especially when posting code). If the editor code was somewhat modular, I'd take a stab at replacing it.
Would you like my sacrificial knife?

Have you looked at the Minorin toolbar add-on? It takes the plain-text editor and adds a BB code toolbar. It's fairly similar to the 'hybrid' editor that vBulletin 3.x used.

I don't have any huge complaints against XF's rich text editor. But of the users that I've had complain (usually visiting from a phone or tablet), switching them to the plain text editor w/toolbar has fixed it *most* of the time.

Top Bottom