1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retina images for avatars

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by PumpinIron, Aug 10, 2016.

1. PumpinIron

PumpinIron Member

Using a 5k iMac it becomes very, very obvious when websites aren't using retina images.

I was looking at my forum today (http://wranglertjforum.com), and I got to thinking how nice it would be be XenForo supported retina images for avatars.
    AndyB, Optic and Mouth like this.
  2. otto

otto Well-Known Member

How many peopel use 5k ? ;)
  3. PumpinIron

PumpinIron Member

It's not just 5k, it's retina screens in general. Almost every new smartphone and tablet uses a retina screen these days, and therefore should be taking advantage of high resolution images.

Even on my iPhone 6S Plus, if I go to a site with non-retina images it's easy to tell how unpolished they look. Re-load that same site with retina images, and it looks sooooo much cleaner. So, it's not just on a 5K iMac, this happens on any screen which takes advantage of a very high pixel density.
    AndyB likes this.
  4. otto

otto Well-Known Member

But, the images would be bigger, its not also more traffic with Retina pics? It blows up the site size for first time a user browse the forum - or not?

I understand you. You have payed a lot for a 5k device. :D ;) I have only a FHD Display in my smartphone, but thats more than enough on such litle screens I think.

If, than a option for retina images would be a good idea - but not as a default setting for all. :)
  5. PumpinIron

PumpinIron Member

I'm only talking about retina images for the avatars. If you use a solution like retina.js, it won't serve the retina image to anyone unless it detects they are using a retina screen.

So, it would be really lightweight, and it would only work with avatars.