XF 1.5 Restricting Attachment Uploads

ElgrandOC

I am having an issue with restricting the ability to upload attachments to posts.

I have limited server space available, so what I am wanting to do is turn off the attachment upload for all users except anyone who has paid for membership. The thought process being that those who have paid to join and help fund the site are contributing to the server space required to host the files.

Now, I understand that restriction of this is set using the group permissions.

The "Registered" group is set as below:

upload_2015-10-20_13-29-25.webp
The "Premium Member" group is set as below:

upload_2015-10-20_13-30-42.webp

So, in theory, anyone who is set to "Registered" members as default should NOT be able to post attachments, those set with a secondary group as "Premium Member" SHOULD be able to post attachments.

Have I got that logic correct? Because that is not what is happening.

If I leave the permissions as above, "Registered" users with NO secondary user groups can still upload files.

I have had to set the "Registered" group to "NEVER" for attaching files. This means that whenever someone upgrades their account, I have to batch update all the primary user groups from "Registered" to "Premium" and remove all secondary user groups.

This works fine in itself, and not really a big job to maintain... BUT when that users upgrade expires, it does not change the Primary group back to "Registered". All it does is remove the (now not present) secondary group.

What am I doing wrong?

Those settings look correct for user groups.

Check the node permissions. I'm guessing you have set upload permissions for the Registered group there. I'd suggest setting node permissions to Inherit unless you require them to be different from user group permissions.

I didn't know there were node permissions as well as user group permissions. Thanks for that.

Now, is there a way to batch update the permissions for the "Registered" user group across all the nodes? I don't fancy going through all 83 of them to be honest, but if that's the only way to do it, I will have to.

Actually... is there a way to set it to "inherit" for ALL user groups across all nodes? Otherwise I can see this taking a long time.

Top Bottom