Lack of interest Resources: inline PDF handling

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

woei

On our forums we use a lot of the resource system like a knowledge base, we have resources containing one "pdf" file with information.

It would be really nice, if it would be able to show the PDF inline, without the need for people to download the PDF file.

Something like this showing the PDF content inline:

1622801078585.webp

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is sort of easy with a custom bbcode media site. This is what I have.

Media Site ID: PDF
Match URLs: ((?'id'.*\.pdf))
Embed Template: <iframe loading="lazy" width="80%" height="400" src="https://docs.google.com/gview?url={$id}&amp;embedded=true" style="border: none;" ></iframe><br />

(This works if the link has .pdf extension and uses Google Docs Viewer)

Thank you, but I would prefer a solution without Google Docs Viewer. Surely there should be something available?

Microsoft also has a similar viewer but it didn't work well for. There are also open source alternatives. I believe Mozilla has a js based pdf viewer but it seemed complicated to use for this purpose. I imagine you can also just use the iframe to load pdf as most browsers can render pdf natively.

Maybe this?

So with the current add on, I need to manually upload via FTP our pdf files to embed? I can’t just use the pdf attachment url from uploading within our site? If so, that’s a no go in 2023.

So with the current add on, I need to manually upload via FTP our pdf files to embed? I can’t just use the pdf attachment url from uploading within our site? If so, that’s a no go in 2023.
This was originally designed like that by the initial author yes.

Top Bottom