As designed Resource threads in forum become disconnected from Resource when the forum type is changed to Article

Mr Lucky

Affected version
2.2 beta 3
OK I'm sure this is expected or by design

BUT

It's hugely dangerous that if you change a forum into an article forum, and you just happen to have some resource discussion threads lurking away in there, then they (of course) get converted to articles and at that point become disconnected from the resource with no way (that I can tell) to reconnect, ie the process is irreversible, so is a bit of a showstopper.

So if the above is (understandably) by design then the bug here is that

• The users has to have some kind of a warning before converting to article that the forum contains resource discussion threads.
  • The conversion must fail until those resource threads have been moved out of the forum

(Luckily I found out on my development 2.2 site)

Last edited:
It's an individual process, but you can point a resource to individual discussion threads, so you can resolve the issue:

1598265799387.webp

But as you noted this is as designed and it's not really any different than any other thread type. If you have a lingering question thread and you convert the forum, you remove the question-related elements (the solution). Same with a poll (which will actually delete the poll). These aren't undoable operations.

This is the exact sort of situation the "may cause some data loss" warning is referring to when you choose to change a forum's type (and also something we trigger in certain situations like moving a thread).

It's an individual process, but you can point a resource to individual discussion threads, so you can resolve the issue:

Yes I apprciate the ways to move the resource discussions and have used that (which is why there may be threads not in the default resource category default discussion forum), but the problem here is in actually identifying whether you have any resource discussions in what forums - I will be going through and checking carefully but I was hoping there could be a process that warns you of the actual problem threads.

It's very easy to go wrong if you moved a resources discussion into a certain forum years and years ago, and you now convert that type. I mean hundreds or thousands of threads could be there.

but the problem here is in actually identifying whether you have any resource discussions in what forums - I will be going through and checking carefully but I was hoping there could be a process that warns you of the actual problem threads.

For a specific forum/node, select thread_id, title from xf_thread where discussion_type = 'resource' and node_id = xx;

For all resource threads across all forums/nodes, select thread_id, xf_thread.title, xf_node.node_id, xf_node.title from xf_thread inner join xf_node on xf_thread.node_id = xf_node.node_id where discussion_type = 'resource';

Top Bottom