Lack of interest Require prefix, no prefix hidden

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
But I don't want a default prefix, yet I want to require users to choose from a selection of prefixes. I have this setup on several of my forums.

@batpool52! is correct, the no prefix option is required in circumstances such as mine.
This doesn't make sense. You want members to choose a prefix, but a "no prefix" option is available. That is counter to your need and for mine. Having a no prefix defeats the purpose of having members forced to pick.

Having a no prefix defeats the purpose of having members forced to pick.
No, it does the opposite.

If "No Prefix" wasn't there, an actual prefix would need to be selected by default. What happens then? People ignore it and submit it as is, just going with whatever the default prefix is instead of actually picking one.

EDIT: Just to check; you do realise that "No Prefix" being selected where a prefix is required, results in an error saying they must select a prefix, right?

If "No Prefix" wasn't there, an actual prefix would need to be selected by default. What happens then? People ignore it and submit it as is, just going with whatever the default prefix is instead of actually picking one.

Why wouldn't it just throw an error as if they hadn't picked one?

EDIT: Just to check; you do realise that "No Prefix" being selected where a prefix is required, results in an error saying they must select a prefix, right?

If that is the case, isn't it easier to just hide it so not to confuse members into thinking they have the option of not using a prefix?

How would you...
  1. Not have a default prefix
  2. Not have the "no prefix" field
  3. Indicate that no prefix was selected ?

How would you...
  1. Not have a default prefix
  2. Not have the "no prefix" field
  3. Indicate that no prefix was selected ?
I understand now that something must be loaded into the drop down initially and that a blank space is not optimal because the user then has no indication of what the drop down is used for. However at some level having "no prefix" listed gives me the feeling that "no prefix" is a valid option.

Top Bottom