1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Require prefix, no prefix hidden

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by dethfire, Jan 14, 2015.

1. dethfire

dethfire Well-Known Member

If you require a prefix for a forum, the option for no prefix should be hidden
  2. batpool52!

batpool52! Well-Known Member

Which prefix would be selected by default?
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

You can set a default prefix in the node's options.
  4. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

But I don't want a default prefix, yet I want to require users to choose from a selection of prefixes. I have this setup on several of my forums.

@batpool52! is correct, the no prefix option is required in circumstances such as mine.
    Amaury and batpool52! like this.
  5. dethfire

This doesn't make sense. You want members to choose a prefix, but a "no prefix" option is available. That is counter to your need and for mine. Having a no prefix defeats the purpose of having members forced to pick.
  6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

No, it does the opposite.

If "No Prefix" wasn't there, an actual prefix would need to be selected by default. What happens then? People ignore it and submit it as is, just going with whatever the default prefix is instead of actually picking one.

EDIT: Just to check; you do realise that "No Prefix" being selected where a prefix is required, results in an error saying they must select a prefix, right?
    Martok and Amaury like this.
  7. dethfire

Why wouldn't it just throw an error as if they hadn't picked one?

If that is the case, isn't it easier to just hide it so not to confuse members into thinking they have the option of not using a prefix?
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

To repeat, which default prefix would be selected?

I can guarante having one preselected would result in threads with the wrong prefix.
    Martok and Amaury like this.
  9. dethfire

Why does a default need to be selected? Why is a no value not possible and then have the submissions process check and if no value, throw and error and make the user pick.
  10. Brogan

That's exactly what happens now.
  11. dethfire

ok, so I guess I'm still at the point then of wondering why "no prefix" needs to be a shown option if it's not even a valid option
  12. Brogan

How would you...
    1. Not have a default prefix
    2. Not have the "no prefix" field
    3. Indicate that no prefix was selected ?
  13. dethfire

I understand now that something must be loaded into the drop down initially and that a blank space is not optimal because the user then has no indication of what the drop down is used for. However at some level having "no prefix" listed gives me the feeling that "no prefix" is a valid option.
  14. Brogan

15. dethfire

ah that might be best for me, thanks!