Require payment upon user registration? Run a PAID members only forum/community site.

Deepmartini

Is this feature coming anytime soon? I would like to operate a paid members only forum and do not want people to be able to register until they pay. It's a mess if everyone joins free then we have to get them to upgrade to paid and go through two separate processes. Would be easier to just add this during the registration process. Any mods that do this? Or perhaps just editing the registration page code? Not sure. Any ideas?

I don't think this has even been suggested, let alone planned. Most people won't pay to join a community unless there's a teaser of what to get.

There are a few ways you could do it... such as disabling registration and manually creating accounts when money has transferred hands, or use the invite/referral mod and send out invites to people who've paid, etc.

Hmmm interesting ideas. I'm more looking to use Xenforo as a CMS and post articles and content in it then restrict access to content to paid members only. Seems an easy mod to make would be to simply add a paypal payment option upon registration as the person fills out their member details.

Could always make it so new registered users have almost no access to things, but can upgrade using the subscription ability already built in. From there the subscription would upgrade their account into a new user group and the appropriate permissions could be set.

Seems an easy mod to make would be to simply add a paypal payment option upon registration as the person fills out their member details.
It probably is a relatively easy mod - the point is that so few people would use it that it wouldn't be worth Kier / Mike wasting their time to add it for just a few people.

On the whole paid memberships are upgrades, not requirements. Obviously some site set-ups may well want to work as you do, but they're so few and far between...

But what if you are running a paid membership site from the start, not just a forum? Paid content is big business online and a lot of people would use this functionality to run a private paid members area.

I understand where Deepmartini is coming from.
If you are seeking an option to require verification through payment before being able to register.
This question would be best to ask in Add-on Requests board.
A freelance xenForo developer might take on your request for a free or a fee.

Paid membership scripts are big business. Look at http://www.membergate.com and http://member.wishlistproducts.com/ These scripts are OK but don't have the juicy community features that Xenforo has. It's all about paid content and private access. If xenforo could offer this as an option in the control panel to require payment before registration that would make this software a killer in the membership site category and expand their customer base.

Paid membership scripts are big business. Look at http://www.membergate.com and http://member.wishlistproducts.com/ These scripts are OK but don't have the juicy community features that Xenforo has. It's all about paid content and private access. If xenforo could offer this as an option in the control panel to require payment before registration that would make this software a killer in the membership site category and expand their customer base.

This is one feature I would certainly like to see on xenforo. I never quite understood why a forum product hasn't added this to their core system yet. big thumbs up from me for this feature.

This is one feature I would certainly like to see on xenforo. I never quite understood why a forum product hasn't added this to their core system yet. big thumbs up from me for this feature.

A certain other software that starts with I and ends in PB does have some thing very close to this, subscription options can show on the registration page, not sure if you can enforce it though, but it wouldn't be a big stretch to get that to happen I am sure.

The same with Upgrades in XF, if they could show on the registration page you are halfway there!

Or even having a redirect on the landing page after registration where people could upgrade immediately upon joining the site. Seems like some simple template edits? I'm not sure. My tech skills are OK but not that advanced.

Just wondering if there was any update on this. It looks very interesting. I am curious if the mod would be able to be integrated with billing providers other than paypal such as Authorize.net
I have determined an order by which I am converting my vB mods. I am still doing Paid Registration, but I have not started yet.
  1. Quick Thread (on this one at the moment)
  2. Post on Registration (should be quick once I get started)
  3. Paid Registration
  4. Live Thread
This mod's ability to use alternative payment processors depends entirely on xenForo -- if xenForo 'has the ability', this mod does as well. If xenForo 'does', so does this mod, etc.

Top Bottom