• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Request: A good GIF animator.

I want the "smooth as butter" via animation the image quality doesn't matter. Professional looking ad = great as butter. :p

Alrighty :)

I think the reason why the filesize is huge is because you put in too many images. Hey, I'm not saying its bad, but I'm just saying.

Their file size was huge. Your file size is yet undetermined. Link me to which images; how many is up to you.

At first, I wanted your first option - where the images "covers" entire ad [provided you know where to cut] and to hell with filesize, but I also understand why xboxbgs has theirs "half animation, and half static." So, I think I'll go with the second option if you plan to add special gradients or graphics to the second half of the ad.

I will fade the bottom half in and out if you like. If you give me the images in the next hour, I'll do both versions.

Now, link me up to the images so I can get this done tonight. :)

I just linked the images in the previous post, so go back to page 1 to see the images. :D
Their file size was huge. Your file size is yet undetermined. Link me to which images; how many is up to you.
That's why PhotoShop exists, to crop images. *nervous look* welp.

That's why PhotoShop exists, to crop images. *nervous look* welp.

I don't have PhotoShop, but that's beside the point.

Here's the deal: every pixel that changes in an animation adds to the file size. So when you have 100 frames that are 100x100 and all 100 pixels change in each and every frame, you have a big honking file size even though the thing is only 100x100 pixels. It is not just the overall size, (as in height x width) it is also the number of pixels that change in each frame that determine the file size of an animation. (Edit -- and of course, the number of frames.)

I'm going to upload something different from what we discussed - I'll go into the details tomorrow as to why because I'm just too tired tonight, but the short version is: I really don't think you want to torture your guests with a 2MB ad. The one I'm posting is already pretty gigantic and it's a fraction of the morphing one.

Here are some ways in which you could compromise and still get the basic effect that you want:

1. Forget the rotating pictures, that's better done in Flash with an alpha fade OR
2. Gray-scale all the pictures; at least it would be easier to make it 16 color without it looking too shabby, OR
3. Have a static picture with a tiny bit of animation in it just to make it pop, and spend all your file size on the "join now" portion of the animation -- since that's a very small area, it won't pump up the file size like a 120x300 changing image does.

Personally, I would go with the latter.

(Or possibly I'm totally wrong and this can be done just like he wants, in a small file size -- maybe with better software -- if someone else wants to jump in, feel free.)

Anyway, here's what I've got and it's still a giant file for an ad.

(Note to the mods -- I'll delete all these when we're through - I'm sorry for the gigantic files.)

demo_11-10-10_256color.gif

(Note to the mods -- I'll delete all these when we're through - I'm sorry for the gigantic files.)
Speaking for myself, my preference would be to leave the files so others could also learn. I'm certainly learning much. Your file is about 660kb, probably too large for an ad but I would think it would be ok to leave.

Speaking for myself, my preference would be to leave the files so others could also learn. I'm certainly learning much. Your file is about 660kb, probably too large for an ad but I would think it would be ok to leave.

Ah ok - I'll restore them if I can, or else re-upload. :) And yes, it is way too large a file size for an ad. But I'll try to give him approximately what he wants first, and then I'll post what I think is a more reasonable compromise for demo purposes.

It looks good! :) I'll take it.

Its not what I expected, but your advice seem sound and makes me look a lil' noble. :(

But I'll take it! :D

I also looked around the internet, and found that most ads are done in micromedia/flash.

I know images themselves are big, hold a lot of data, and that if I translate it to a animation, it takes up a lot of memory, or is large.

But what I didn't know was that an ad like that would create a huge filesize. I thought all ads on the internet were GIF's with large filesizes, made specifically for the broadband users.

The advantage to Flash is a much smaller file size for similar effects -- and better effects for that matter. For example you can use an alpha fade to morph one image into another, and still have the same file size as if you were just using two separate images -- as opposed to the 50 or so separate images you'd need for a really smooth transition in an animated gif.

But really, with an ad your main goal isn't impressing people with special effects, it's getting their attention. It might seem a little counter-intuitive but, sometimes the less beautiful the better. Example: "Head on! Apply directly to the forehead!" Sure, you hate the crap out of it - but you remember it.

Anyway, I have a couple more options for you - even though these have a lot of frames there are only minute pixel changes so it's still a much smaller file size than the one above. And I'll throw some other versions in here later on when I have time -- that way you'll at least have a lot to choose from. :)

demo_smallfile.gif demo_smallfile2.gif

Okay, I love your thinking. What you just said - struck a cord with me "they may hate it, but they remember it" That's a strategy I like. A lot.

And likewise, I like your progress in your latest works. They are enticing! :)

Now, I'm thinking about adding these ads to my server. :)

I don't have a portfolio. I didn't mean to give you the impression that I'm a professional digital artist -- I just noodle around with it for my own amusement. I replied to your post because I've been using Animation Shop for years and I figured I could probably help you with a simple banner. My "work" wouldn't appeal to you (or pretty much anybody but me), it's very retro, and I only use animation as a garnish, even in Flash. If you want high production values and a lot of smooth special effects, you'll have to beg one of the actual designers on here. :)

Per Dean's request I'm reposting all the stuff I deleted, with explanations -- but just the top half of the banners, since that's where all the animation was and that way it doesn't take up so much space on the post.

This was just a demo for the overall concept which is why the animation sucks -- but it also demos the biggest mistake people make with animations: changing too many pixels in too many ways per frame, which gives them that annoying "jumpy" effect.

originaldemo.gif

And rather than demo how to smooth out that one because it would be really time consuming and he didn't want that concept, I'll just post this as an example of getting a smoother effect by changing the shapes incrementally. This is just six frames.

smoothertransition.gif
This is the morphing effect, which results in a huge file size since all pixels change in each frame -- really, this is better done in Flash if someone has their heart set on morphing images. It will just annoy your visitors, plus Google does not like huge download times. And you must not anger the great God Google! This one has 45 frames ... the software wouldn't let me upload the 80-frame version and because of that I didn't even try the 200-frame version.

45frames.gif

And here's the file size/download info on that last one:

filesize.gif

I think I like the second one. :)

I would add a orange border, but I think you've done enough.

Thank you for your time. :)

The reason I asked was the first one, where Dean asked what it might look like slowed down some, I saved it and ran it a wee bit slower myself..it was running at a 10 , I tried a 12 and a 13, and those both looked fine, 15 made it look funky, you were right about much slower. But a 12 which slowed it down just a smidgen mad enough of a difference for the eye to catch up and not make it too jumpy. Also what software do you use if not photoshop? I use PSP mostly.

Top Bottom