reply with tag

Clicking the user name would be inconsistent with every other part of the site which either brings up the member card or opens your own profile page.

No. No. No. No. No. I'm already on the fence as far as the usability of this feature. Typing someone's name in a post should never automatically tag it.

You need to have the @ Symbol for it to auto tag, Biker. Otherwise, it's just a normal name. (y)

That's not how I read your comment. I read it as by typing someone's name, it automatically tags.

Nah, that'd be problematic for multiple reasons:
  • A lot of processing power required to check various words (every word) and combinations for usernames
  • Have unexpected behavior for the user.
I meant that to tag Chris, since his name doesn't immediately appear, if I put "@Chris Deeming" it'll tag him as well as clicking in the drop down.

Clicking the user name would be inconsistent with every other part of the site which either brings up the member card or opens your own profile page.
You are pulling things out of their context.
Just like real estate, the 3 most important things are: location, location, location.
When a user name is used in the context of a discussion .... the most logical use of clicking the name is to reply.
It's actually annoying to bring up the membercard.
98% of the time ... people won't want to bring up the membercard.

As you suggest, there are already TOO many ways to bring up the membercard.

Trading away a good social function to bring up the membercard is not what I would want.

Put this to a survey ... people won't want another membercard popup.

I agree with @Brogan here. If I'm in the middle of a really long thread and I see some random user mentioned, I'd rather see who it is with a possibility of figuring out why they are being brought in, not respond to them.

Also, the name to member card relationship is enforced through out the site, changing it here would be highly out of XF character.

Completely disagree with every point.
The logical place for additional post related controls is alongside the existing ones.
I certainly wouldn't want the GUI junked up.
I might like that. Let's see a mockup.
Kier's reason for no multiquote was it junks up the UI.
I suspect he'd say the same to adding more Reply controls.

My position, is that, if surveyed, people would not want more membercard popup links.

I'm just glad that Xenforo has @tagging.
It's a great feature.
Re-Kudos to xfrocks for his original addon.
Best addon ever.

You're right. No one needs more membercard popup links - but I don't see where anyone has asked for more than what we've already had since the very beginning.

The point is, usernames have always, should always and hopefully will always bring up member card information and link you to their profile. Because that is intuitive. It makes sense. It's what you would expect to happen when you click on a username link. So why should it change?

I think reply tagging is a great suggestion. As such, it shouldn't be hidden away in some action that is completely out of the norm of most web applications let alone XenForo. It should be right there, clear as day: "Tag" (or words to that effect) alongside all of the other controls that actually do something.

I think it's safe to say that the suggestion has been made in general for some sort of easy Tag link to be added. Let's let the experts (@Mike) decide on how best to implement it if they feel it should be.

Top Bottom