Lack of interest Replace the sub-forum list with a compact button dropdown

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Floren

I was talking with Brogan and Grover on another thread, about this change.

Right now, when we have many sub-forums, viewing the threads present into parent forum can become challenging. Here it is an example:

wrong-position-of-key-buttons-in-xf-png.1405

Now, imagine that you have 10 sub-forums, instead of 4...

An elegant alternative to this issue will be to use the current button popup present into forum home page that lists the existing sub-forums, when you hover over it. All we would have to do is increase a little the font and locate it right under the Post New Thread button.

To see what I mean, go to XenForo forum home page and scroll down until you find the Development Tutorials and Resources forum. Right underneath, you will see the sub-forum link. Imagine that exact type of link displayed under Post New Thread button. I think it will look great.

subforums-jpg.10638

That will make the current forum display very compact and users will be able to enjoy what they want most: read the threads, not have their screen filled with a list of sub-forums. Plus, it will allow to keep the Post New Thread button into same location, not under the list of sub-forums like it is now. Not to mention that is innovative, it will be different from any other forum systems that replicate always and always the same design.

Upvote 3
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
One simple solution is to move the subforum list to the bottom. I have asked about this in the past and it turns out much better.

One simple solution is to move the subforum list to the bottom. I have asked about this in the past and it turns out much better.

It was like that in beginning, actually:

This awkward positioning only became apparent when the subforums were moved to the top actually. In XF the subforums were positioned at the bottom of the forum thread list in the first alpha/beta (?) versions and then the position of the button next to the breadcrumb was actually good (and innovative).

Thank you, Jaxel. Looks great and yes the default location now is the only location that makes any sense (especially when using subforums on top: the [Post New Thread]-button should always be below the subforums-list, for the reasons displayed in the screenshot in posting #1).

I think this will look a million times better/cooler:

subforums.webp

That is what I meant by displaying sub-forums into a regular forum display page.
Of course, the actual button will be redesigned to be more visible...

Top Bottom