Not planned Replace old and buggy Lightbox with fast FotoramaJS

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
As many of you know Lightbox works really bad, not loading images sometimes, completely ignoring mobile devices, etc.

But there is an alternative: FotoramaJS, fast, lightweight, easy-to-use, mobile-friendly image gallery.
You can test it on your own here: http://fotoramajs.com/

That's news to me as well.
Completely ignoring mobile devices ? Works 100% for me on android on tab and cell with Chrome and Firefox.

There are at least 5 free javascript pop-up which comes to mind and I use them frequently on other sites: FancyBox, GreyBox, HighSlide, ThickBox, MultiBox but I have no problem with current implementation of XenForo pop-ups...

Hm, bit of a hyperbolic statement, I feel.

Also, FotoramaJS isn't even a lightbox. It's an image gallery or slider.

How would that gallery work in practice in threads?

Pre-load an instance of it in every single post that has an image in it? That doesn't sound like it'd be very good to me.

I agree it's very nice, but I do not agree it's a suitable replacement for ANY lightbox (let alone an "old and buggy" one).

Hm, bit of a hyperbolic statement, I feel.

Also, FotoramaJS isn't even a lightbox. It's an image gallery or slider.

How would that gallery work in practice in threads?

Pre-load an instance of it in every single post that has an image in it? That doesn't sound like it'd be very good to me.

I agree it's very nice, but I do not agree it's a suitable replacement for ANY lightbox (let alone an "old and buggy" one).
Lightbox for now serves just one purpose: image slider among posts. Fotorama can do the same thing without causing bugs or long loads.

Right now Lighbox in XenForo may not load some images (especially the first one, which happens to me almost every time), it certainly doesn't know anything about touch actions, even simple one touch can't open it properly (it opens with no image and any click will lead to it's closing), plus Lightbox does a hard time surfing through images, it takes about 1-2 seconds to skip an image and that's really annoying.

I have to bear with them every time I visit XF forums on iPhone or iPod Touch.

When it comes to PC: I don't know how others browsers handle it but in Chrome the 'can't load and stuck at first image' issue is sufficient.

I have an iPhone and a PC where my primary browser is Chrome.

I do not have any of the issues you mention.

I have to bear with them every time I visit XF forums on iPhone or iPod Touch.

When it comes to PC: I don't know how others browsers handle it but in Chrome the 'can't load and stuck at first image' issue is sufficient.
Never had any issues. Unless I was on a seriously slow connection, but that can't realistically be helped by any JS.

Did on my Galaxy Tab 7.7 and it works just fine... did on my iPad and it doesn't work as well... tells me that Apple's Safari engine that they force on all browsers may be the problem.

I know a forum isn't a photo gallery – but when adding a lot of pictures to a post, the lightbox is really getting very slow... It takes up to 10 seconds until a picture is loaded...
Anybody knows a solution for that?

I know a forum isn't a photo gallery – but when adding a lot of pictures to a post, the lightbox is really getting very slow... It takes up to 10 seconds until a picture is loaded...
Anybody knows a solution for that?
It's in the first post. You just need to disable Lightbox somehow.

Well, actually I like the lightbox "gallery function", but it's just very very slow (which is a result of loading all images in the background I suppose?)... Hm...

I've never had any issues with the gallery itself. The only issue I have had is images fail to load, but that's only because I am downloading something and my speeds get very slow.

Top Bottom