Implemented Replace all images with font awesome

Adam Howard

Think about this and please get some feedback, before you're quick to simply say, no thanks.

With more screens having higher and higher image resolution, some of the sprite don't always look so clear as they once did. And the font awesome code is virtually pure css, for easy and fast loading.

Every mobile device I have tested, including the old Nokia style phones (early 2000's), can indeed process fonts and the css code. So you've got a wide range of compatibility, including IE7 support (even though you're only supporting IE8 I believe).

This would improve the image quality regardless of the screen size or screen resolution, while improving load time, and maintain device compatibility.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 12
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Even if it's not in core, there are enough tutorials here that you can replace almost all of the stock sprite.
I'm almost there. 90% using fontawesome icons since once you load the FA css on the header, you may as well replace all of the icons.

Even if it's not in core, there are enough tutorials here that you can replace almost all of the stock sprite.
I'm almost there. 90% using fontawesome icons since once you load the FA css on the header, you may as well replace all of the icons.
Well how about the option to use FontAwesome or regular images? Couldn't be too much to add it into the core of the software to give people the option.
I think this idea.

Options are always a plus. People should have a choice and have the option to either use fonts or photos.

Options are good.

Are you replacing the smilies with font awesome? if not, why not?

I'd love to see the option to use .svg smilies myself... Font Awesome only has maybe 4 total smilies.. something close... I looked into changing the Post Rating ones with Font Awesome as well.

Oh, and I never agree with Mr. Howard... but I do like this suggestion.

To expand on that...

If using FA instead of icons, the best thing is you have an unlimited amount of "color" choices you can use. They'd literally fit ANY site. Right now, you get the spritesheet, use it or create your own.

I'd love to see the option to use .svg smilies myself... Font Awesome only has maybe 4 total smilies.. something close... I looked into changing the Post Rating ones with Font Awesome as well.
I'd love this as well.

@Shelley takes pride in her smilies and I can only imagine how cool they would look in HD resolution. :)

IOh, and I never agree with Mr. Howard... but I do like this suggestion.
Thanks.... :) I think. :cautious:

But I will give you credit in that your skills in manipulating XenForo with Font Awesome is far greater than my own.

Tried updated a few templates from v3 to v4, even followed the Wiki
https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/wiki/Upgrading-from-3.2.1-to-4

Simple copy and paste replacement in most aspects.... Didn't work out for me though.

Oh, and I never agree with Mr. Howard... but I do like this suggestion.

Yeah. That being said. If font awesome icons did replace the images in the core then they should also replace the default smilies. .Svg would be good, however.

Sorry Adam - Can't like the suggestion - I absolutely don't like the font awesome icon as a full replacement (which was how I read the initial post) as an alternative then maybe which is optional for those that want to use them and if they replace the existing smilies since you can't have some images using FA and some that are not.

Yeah. That being said. If font awesome icons did replace the images in the core then they should also replace the default smilies. .Svg would be good, however.

Sorry Adam - Can't like the suggestion - I absolutely don't like the font awesome icon as a full replacement (which was how I read the initial post) as an alternative then maybe which is optional for those that want to use them and if they replace the existing smilies since you can't have some images using FA and some that are not.
When I make a suggestion, it's open to debate and new ideas.

I too would like to see the smilies in .SVG format. I bet your cool smilies would look outstanding in HD :D

When I make a suggestion, it's open to debate and new ideas.

I too would like to see the smilies in .SVG format. I bet your cool smilies would look outstanding in HD :D

Yeah I know. :) I just didn't want you to think that I was against FA just for the sake of not liking them without reason. Though whether that reason is satisfactory to others is down to how they may look at my argument. I'll admit in some cases and in some areas the FA design looks good (sheldon done a fantastic job in profile tabs) they look great but in some places they look terrible and just lack character.

My designs are already vectored from when I create them so they can be re-sized to any scale (for print if I wanted to) but I doubt I'll add any additional workload with regards to the extended pack if people are ever expecting that. I'm not a heavy mobile user so unless I need them in HD myself then that will be the only time you'll see the extended pack converted over.

Fonts can't have color the same way images can, so no smilies or widespread usage in that sense.
While I can't edit the 1st post... This came up in the thread.

Smilies should be made into SVG files allowing for high resolution HD. It's mostly all the many other imagines and sprites that should be converted.

Top Bottom