Implemented Replace all images with font awesome

Adam Howard

Think about this and please get some feedback, before you're quick to simply say, no thanks.

With more screens having higher and higher image resolution, some of the sprite don't always look so clear as they once did. And the font awesome code is virtually pure css, for easy and fast loading.

Every mobile device I have tested, including the old Nokia style phones (early 2000's), can indeed process fonts and the css code. So you've got a wide range of compatibility, including IE7 support (even though you're only supporting IE8 I believe).

This would improve the image quality regardless of the screen size or screen resolution, while improving load time, and maintain device compatibility.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 12
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
A suggestion for High DPI support has been made already.
That thread can be found here @Adam Howard or anyone who likes the suggestion and wants to see it implemented. http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ages-and-assets-retina-display-support.32970/
I am aware of it.

But I forgot to include it in my 1st post.

@Jeremy, if you want to edit my 1st post to include the idea that, smilies would / could be made in SVG files, that would be helpful (while also including the link to that request)

Personally I would like to see fontawesome used in some places. It's precisely because fontawesome uses generic icons that it's a good idea. This is about usability.
Plus being fonts means they look great on high res displays like iPads.
I've employed fontawesome in a bunch of places in order to optimise the speed of the site and reduce the size of the svg sprite I use. I like it and vote to have an option to use it in Xenforo.

Font Awesome is:
  • 1% a TrueType web font of generic icons
  • 99% hype
If they offered a larger pool of icons, and the icons had more personality, I'd consider it, but I looked through them and:
  • Did not see icons suitable for several of my purposes.
  • Saw icons that are so generic, it's impossible to tell what they are at a glance.

Font Awesome is:
  • 1% a TrueType web font of generic icons
  • 99% hype
If they offered a larger pool of icons, and the icons had more personality, I'd consider it, but I looked through them and:
  • Did not see icons suitable for several of my purposes.
  • Saw icons that are so generic, it's impossible to tell what they are at a glance.
Font Awesome definitely is useful for some things (including icons depending on the style/layout of the website), but personally I don't think they are a good fit as replacement icons for the default XenForo style. They *are* a good replacement for editor icons though in my opinion.

Even if it's not in core, there are enough tutorials here that you can replace almost all of the stock sprite.
I'm almost there. 90% using fontawesome icons since once you load the FA css on the header, you may as well replace all of the icons.
Could you post your forum URL so I can see an example of how exactly FontAwesome works?

i personally prefer the generic look. I generally modify my sprites to suit the style im working on.. For example i fully intend to replace Post Rating with FA but in the meantime i had modified the accompanying sprite sheet to have a bit more of a FA look/feel.
Capture_06172014_164244.webp FA will be a nice improvement over this method and will be even closer to my desired results.

i personally prefer the generic look. I generally modify my sprites to suit the style im working on.. For example i fully intend to replace Post Rating with FA but in the meantime i had modified the accompanying sprite sheet to have a bit more of a FA look/feel.
View attachment 76205 FA will be a nice improvement over this method and will be even closer to my desired results.
I was thinking of replacing the that add-on with Font Awesome as well. But I think that is one of the elements that would look better in an .SVG file format. As with the smilies as well.

If I can ever get @Shelley to release her extended smilies and rating photos in .svg I would be so hilariously happy.

Now that XenForo Media Gallery enable Font Awesome call in all pages, please replace all images icons with Font Awesome Icons. Please.

So that we can have more benefits of calling that FontAwesome css, font icons in all pages.
Right now it's 90% useless on other pages except Media Gallery page and Profile Pages with gallery content.
And the dis-advantages it adds more than 100kb per pages :(

Thanks!

Flat, bland, indistinct UIs (iOS 8, Android L, new Gmail) really turn me off, and while I can see the benefits of Font Awesome for some sites, I don't think there are distinct enough icons to replace all of XenForo's UI.

I replaced them fine in the flat awesome style I released here and there has been a welcoming reception to that. There's honestly not that many on the sprite, I think the only one I'm not entirely happy with is the new post indicator but past that it was easy pickings and the selection is growing.

Top Bottom