Removing mods from vb.org in support?

Wired

Heard last night that some modders are removing their mods from vB.org in support of XenForo. What are your opinions on this? Any truth to this?

Personally, while I support XenForo, I'm not sure I'd want the users of my mods to suffer because of this. They're innocent of any wrongdoing.

This one is a tuffy for sure because I can see both sides of the fence, but given my previous statement of opinion that VB has no where to go but down from here, it's probably in everyone's best interest to just follow where the mods go. (so to speak) So if these people are pulling down their mods from VB, chances are, they are coming over this way to an even more remarkable application. So, great mods in the same place as a great program, you can't go wrong with that! :D

(just my 2 cents)

Heard last night that some modders are removing their mods from vB.org in support of XenForo. What are your opinions on this?

Personally, while I support XenForo, I'm not sure I'd want the users of my mods to suffer because of this. They're innocent of any wrongdoing.

Take your mods down... but keep your internet presence and support for your work.

You are just protesting IB not vbulletin or its users.

This one is a tuffy for sure because I can see both sides of the fence, but given my previous statement of opinion that VB has no where to go but down from here, it's probably in everyone's best interest to just follow where the mods go. (so to speak) So if these people are pulling down their mods from VB, chances are, they are coming over this way to an even more remarkable application. So, great mods in the same place as a great program, you can't go wrong with that! :D
Removing mods in protest is different than jumping platforms, especially since XF isn't out yet. Also, there isn't anything wrong with supporting a mod on different platforms. Heck, it's a business model for many companies. Perhaps a middle ground would be to MOVE the support of the mod to a personal / neutral forum?

Side note: Wasn't vB.org once an unofficial site, that is to say, it had nothing to do with Jelsoft? If so, is anyone still on the staff there from those days?

exactly what I meant. host your mods off vb.org and keep business as usual. If and when VB goes the way of CorelDraw then dump em completely.

If they come back to their senses then move back in ;)
The whole point is to show IB that they cannot bully its customers or supporters (3rd party coders) and that's exactly what they have done

exactly what I meant. host your mods off vb.org and keep business as usual. If and when VB goes the way of CorelDraw then dump em completely.

If they come back to their senses then move back in ;)
The whole point is to show IB that they cannot bully its customers or supporters (3rd party coders) and that's exactly what they have done

When you put it that way, I have to agree 300% :)

Since I am not in it for the fame or the money, and I don't want to bother with the vBulletin product, company or community, I have discontinued my support for addons on vBorg.
Please clarify. Do you mean you're just marking them as unsupported, or have removed them, or have moved support somewhere else, or a combination of the above, or something else entirely?

My personal opinion is mostly that I agree with any positive stuff that people do. Special actions to promote XenForo, topics to hug the developers, special signatures to say you care about XenForo... all is fine with me.

However, I also dislike anything negative about vBulletin, any actions on their boards (other than giving your opinion in the lawsuit thread, that is) or things like removing your mods from there. I can see why you don't want to post mods there anymore, nor give support for them, but if it's only because you want to support XF / hit vBulletin, I think you're making the wrong choice.

Also, I don't like it when the users end up suffering over these kind of things.

Paul is wrong in my opinion
He's right and wrong. Won't affect their bottom line if you look at purchasers who buy the software solely for its own functionality. For those who want to buy it because of a particular mod, well that's another thing entirely.

Depends on how many have removed their mods, which brings me back to the main post: How many have done this so far? Any major players in the mod community?

Please clarify. Do you mean you're just marking them as unsupported, or have removed them, or have moved support somewhere else, or a combination of the above, or something else entirely?
I have removed them. And won't support existing versions or product support for them. I just don't care anymore.

Removing mods from vb.org doesn't hurt IB, it hurts the community and thus hits those who are not responsible for the current situation.

I'll leave my mods where they are but support will be limited due to the fact that I am not visiting the official forums.

I'm actually happy they're getting removed. Not that people won't have as many modifications, but because when people have less modifications, they look for a software with more. So basically, XF and IPB will probably get a lot of new users do to this (Mainly XF I'm sure).

And no, there aren't any add-ons here yet, but people know there will be. ;)

Normally, I wouldn't remove my resources from anywhere no matter how much I disagree with the company/owners actions. In this case I am one of the few and many yet to come that have removed resources from internetbrands sister site which they profit from indirectly over the gerosity of the people that freely give both their time, their effort and their dedication.

With recent events, They are more than free to release a shoddy product and I suppose it's well within their right to deceive us into buying it. I for one draw the line at their reasoning in stopping people who have moved on into using other solutions, better solutions in my opinion, xenforo. For me, I had given up on forums, I have closed down several vbulletin domains because of the software (they're flagship software) and refused to stay with their previous (3 series) with the social networking age upon us we can't all stagnate on an old redundent product which would most likely see bugs and security issues which we are unable to fix due to them calling an EOL.

Xenforo is now a solution for many, and a welcome one. For them to try and restrict people (again, who have moved on) is something I can't stomach, and will not be associated with internetbrands nor their sister sites which they heavily indirectly profit from so I was one of many that removed resources from there. Not to show my support for xenforo, because it's the decent right thing to do despite it hurting the customers who are not directly at fault. That is something I can live with though and my resources will still be freely hosted and able to be adapted just not at internetbrands sister site.

I will not have any staff members who staff at internetbrands tell me what I can or cannot do with my resources which I put time and effort into. I served jelsoft for many years and was happy to do so. Nowadays Internetbrands have crossed the line so you have to fight fire with fire. I won't loose any sleep.

While I am not a modder and don't have anything to gain or lose here, my opinion is this. If a person can't accept the way a company is being ran (vB.com) and they are supporting that company through mods (vB.org) then they need to make a decision.

Either they can continue to support the company or they have to quit and walk away. I understand this will hurt some admins that depend on those mods, I understand it's not directly affecting IB and I understand some admins will hold it against these modders for taking a stand. The core of it is the modding community is what brings vB a lot of clients and without this they will either change their 'marketing' strategy and the way they treat users or they will go to the wayside like many other companies..

I however see it as their work. I see them as standing for something they believe in. I would continue to support them on their site with any mods/work they produced in the future. A saying I remember from way back... 'If you don't Stand for something, you will Fall for anything..'

Jamie

Removing mods from vb.org doesn't hurt IB, it hurts the community and thus hits those who are not responsible for the current situation.

I'll leave my mods where they are but support will be limited due to the fact that I am not visiting the official forums.
It will hurt their standing as a leader in forum software. the way I see it that's the advantage they have over IPB

Users won't be hurt, since support will continue off vb.org

Every coder/designer is free in doing what he/she thinks is right. If they think the company owning vB is becoming completely unethical, it is very understandable that they do not want to support the communities anymore as a form of strike. No one has the right to tell someone who is releasing free products what or what not to do. Now if they would have paid for it and support was promised for a certain period of time, that's a different story.

To the people thinking this will not hurt IB: wrong.

Top Bottom