Removing mods from vb.org in support?

You won't know this has occurred by looking for info on it at vb.org. Marco the Magic Dragon removed all posts made by those of us that stated why and what we were doing and locked the thread.

Removing mods from vb.org doesn't hurt IB, it hurts the community and thus hits those who are not responsible for the current situation.

I'll leave my mods where they are but support will be limited due to the fact that I am not visiting the official forums.

My intention is not to hurt them, or the community. My intentions is personal interest; or rather the lack thereof. I just don't want to support it anymore, not think about it, or care for it. And seeing how they're behaving over in that vB universe that once used to be worth my 38,000 posts and contributions .. **** it.

Paul is wrong in my opinion
Personally, I agree with Paul. Yes, it is a selling point of having such a great community full of free add-ons, but does IB really care if my Username Request mod is there? No. Who does - the customers who paid for the software. You hurt them more than you do IB.

Floris, you have my fullest support. You have been involved far more than most of us so that puts you in a special position. :)

I don't know, maybe I am going to do the same. My work never had a big influence but constant dripping... well, you know the saying. :)

Let them keep their posts and threads...any who owns their mod can legally just script it to fit xf and post it here. If they have an issue with you and not your mod... make the title in your mod a link to a rework of the mod posted here. I wouldn't want the loyalists there to be harmed anymore especially because of a community. That would make us all no better than them(IB.) Lets just worry about our own backyard here, IB is doing a good enough job at making a point of what they are about. Lets not let them change what we are about, and I know here we are about innovation and progression, let them keep the old posts. Like Floris said, eff it , we have better things going on over here.

You won't know this has occurred by looking for info on it at vb.org. Marco the Magic Dragon removed all posts made by those of us that stated why and what we were doing and locked the thread.
Why would he do that, unless he doesn't believe Paul M's assertion that removing mods won't harm IB?

Let them keep their posts and threads...any who owns their mod can legally just script it to fix xf and post it here. If they have an issue with you and not your mod... make the title in your mod a link to a rework of the mod posted here. I wouldn't want the loyalists there to be harmed anymore especially because of a community. That would make us all no better than them(IB.) Lets just worry about our own backyard here, IB is doing a good enough job at making a point of what they are about. Lets not let them change what we are about, and I know here we are about innovation and progression, let them keep the old posts. Like Floris said, eff it , we have better things going on over here.
I agree completely.

As an end user of these mods, I can understand if folks decide not to support vb any longer. I feel that it will have some affect on IB only so far as people deciding what software to use based on mods available. There are free software choices out there but they lack the mod support. I chose to go with vB because of the free modifications available and the good product that Jelsoft and their developers turned out. Time will tell but a lack of support by coders will affect IB and vB.

The innovation here will do more though for members already without any custom mods. I plan to mirror my site and get feedback from members but my gut feeling is, they will love this.

It seems vB.org now forbids to edit certain modifications by the rightful owner:

vBulletin Message

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 2500000 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

I'm afraid I even mentioned that I don't understand why people remove their mods from vB.org not so long ago.

Yesterday on the other hand I did so myself. It's just one mod for Project Tools that I ever released and I guess it won't be missed anyway. But I really cannot support a company whatsoever that not only sues another company but also threatens the potential customers of that other company. I.e. they are threatening me personally as I'm still planning to migrate to XenForo. Hence the change of hearts ... controversial as it may be ...

vBulletin Message

The administrator has specified that you can only edit messages for 2500000 minutes after you have posted. This limit has expired, so you must contact the administrator to make alterations on your message.

If it's true that that post editing time limit was just added, I'd ask them how that SUPPORTS the vb admin users when they are trying to determine if a mod is supported or not.

Top Bottom