Remove the share page template from nodes which are not visible to guests, or are private

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I have some forums and Pages which are not visible to guests, only to logged in users.

Unfortunately some members are Tweeting and Recommending these pages, which results in errors when doing so due to the URL not being publicly accessible.
It also makes the Facebook Recommendations widget look less than perfect due to broken logos and incorrectly formatted URLs
In addition, any shared content won't be available to anyone not logged in which will most likely just frustrate Facebook and Twitter users.

A conditional to check if the Page or thread is not accessible to guests would be useful to avoid these issues.
Or failing that, a simple checkbox which can be applied per node: category, forum, page.

The same also applies to private nodes.

Upvote 24
I have some forums and Pages which are not visible to guests, only to logged in users.
Is the reason for this to encourage users to register ?

Unfortunately some members are Tweeting and Recommending these pages, which results in errors when doing so due to the URL not being publicly accessible.

It also makes the Facebook Recommendations widget look less than perfect due to broken logos and incorrectly formatted URLs

Screenshot ? Demo ?

In addition, any shared content won't be available to anyone not logged in which will most likely just frustrate Facebook and Twitter users.
Won't this encourage them to register to see the inaccessible content ?

A conditional to check if the Page or thread is not accessible to guests would be useful to avoid these issues.
Check before tweeting ? (Prevent users from tweeting) or Check when accessing when guest user is accessing the restricted Page ? Edit: I see you want to prevent the tweet ability by removing the share-page. Other idea might be to warn the tweeter this content is restricted to registered members and the recipient must sign up to the forums to see the page ?

How about some sample URLs from your site for a good demo ?

Or failing that, a simple checkbox which can be applied per node: category, forum, page.

The same also applies to private nodes.

Was anyting ever done about this, I have the same issue

Google+ plus 1 actually errors out if the content isn't guest accessible.

It took me a while to figure out the cause.

This is a good idea.

I thought this was addressed in the lastest release (I have not checked personally) there is a conditional hack you can use tho... Can't find the solution i used a while back but if you can give me a few days i will provide it as a resource.. http://xenforo.com/community/resources/conditional-statements.1604/ <-- look here tho you can apply the related statements around the share / social area... Sorry busy atm.. i will have another look later i am sure i saved this in a .txt file somewhere for later use..