• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Remove "nofollow" from sig links

Jake Bunce

Edit this file:

library/XenForo/ViewPublic/Helper/Message.php

Add the red code:

Rich (BB code):
		if ($options['signatureKey'] && isset($message[$options['signatureKey']]))
		{
			if ($options['showSignature'])
			{
				// note: signatures are always nofollow'd by default
				$message[$options['signatureHtmlKey']] = new XenForo_BbCode_TextWrapper(
					$message[$options['signatureKey']], $parser, array('lightBox' => false, 'noFollowDefault' => false)
				);
			}
			else
			{
				$message[$options['signatureHtmlKey']] = '';
			}
		}

Tested in 1.1.0

Nice guide Jake, Is there any way to make it dofollow for certain usergroups? I want to offer dofollow links to my premium and valued members as a thankyou :)

So this edit would allow users to promote their siterank basically?

I could be okay with that but want to know for sure what this does.

So this edit would allow users to promote their siterank basically?

I could be okay with that but want to know for sure what this does.
Adding the nofollow attribute tells the search engines to "not follow" the link.
Removing it would allow your members signature links to show up in their Google Webmaster Tools panel as backlinks.

NoFollow will not stop search engines from following the link, it acts more in telling them not to pass page rank onto those sites.

One thing to note when mucking with nofollow is that you should be aware of nofollowing links does NOT help you retain PageRank ("link juice") for your own site. The PageRank that would have flowed to the nofollowed links is not split amongst the rest of the normal links... instead, nofollow simply makes PageRank disappear into thin air.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/
Matt Cutts said:
So what happens when you have a page with “ten PageRank points” and ten outgoing links, and five of those links are nofollowed? Let’s leave aside the decay factor to focus on the core part of the question. Originally, the five links without nofollow would have flowed two points of PageRank each (in essence, the nofollowed links didn’t count toward the denominator when dividing PageRank by the outdegree of the page). More than a year ago, Google changed how the PageRank flows so that the five links without nofollow would flow one point of PageRank each.

One thing to note when mucking with nofollow is that you should be aware of nofollowing links does NOT help you retain PageRank ("link juice") for your own site. The PageRank that would have flowed to the nofollowed links is not split amongst the rest of the normal links... instead, nofollow simply makes PageRank disappear into thin air.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/

Have you read this reply by Matt Grenville, it made me laugh!

Link: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/#comment-347446

It’s funny, just the other day some guy approached me about page rank sculpting. “It’s all the rage and done wonders for my website, you should try it.” he said, and he gave me a link to a post on page rank sculpting.

Ever since then I have heard nothing BUT page rank skulpting, page rank skulpting this, page rank skulpting that. And after all this, it has not worked for a year anyway and yannow what? I think i’ve given up caring on what works and what doesn’t.

I can have my little website, and I can stroke it and feed it words here and there, she will sit there, and look pretty, and be nice to me. But low and behold I try and promote it and hey, i’ll be told NO, don’t do this, don’t do that, we advise you not to do this, we advise you not to do that.

Best bit of advice anyone can give is…. “Write good content and people will link to you”

*sigh*

Cause if I do that, If I write good content, whilst my 100+ competitors link build, article market, forum comment, social bookmark, release viral videos, buy links, I’ll end up the very bottom of the pile, great content or not and really I am just as well taking my chances pulling off every sneaky trick in the book to get my site top because, everyone does it anyway and if I don’t what do have to lose?

So I don’t care if the magical Mr Cutts is telling me page rank sculpting don’t work no more. I’m gonna bloody do it anyway.

:p

Know why? Natural organic link building only happens for those with million buck advertising campaigns.

Top Bottom