1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum is for release discussion only. Discussions that do not relate specifically to the resource release should be discussed in another, more appropriate forum.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Remove "nofollow" from sig links

Discussion in 'Code Modifications [Archive]' started by Jake Bunce, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Edit this file:

Add the red code:

if ($options['signatureKey'] && isset($message[$options['signatureKey']]))
    			if ($options['showSignature'])
    				// note: signatures are always nofollow'd by default
    				$message[$options['signatureHtmlKey']] = new XenForo_BbCode_TextWrapper(
    					$message[$options['signatureKey']], $parser, array('lightBox' => false, 'noFollowDefault' => false)
    				$message[$options['signatureHtmlKey']] = '';
    Tested in 1.1.0
  2. ShadyX

ShadyX Well-Known Member

Nice guide Jake, Is there any way to make it dofollow for certain usergroups? I want to offer dofollow links to my premium and valued members as a thankyou :)
  3. Rho Delta

Rho Delta Well-Known Member

What exactly is a nofollow? Sorry for the noob question.
  4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

5. Rho Delta

Rho Delta Well-Known Member

So this edit would allow users to promote their siterank basically?

I could be okay with that but want to know for sure what this does.
  6. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

Adding the nofollow attribute tells the search engines to "not follow" the link.
    Removing it would allow your members signature links to show up in their Google Webmaster Tools panel as backlinks.
  7. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

NoFollow will not stop search engines from following the link, it acts more in telling them not to pass page rank onto those sites.
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

One thing to note when mucking with nofollow is that you should be aware of nofollowing links does NOT help you retain PageRank ("link juice") for your own site. The PageRank that would have flowed to the nofollowed links is not split amongst the rest of the normal links... instead, nofollow simply makes PageRank disappear into thin air.

Brandon Sheley likes this.
  9. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Have you read this reply by Matt Grenville, it made me laugh!

Link: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/#comment-347446